Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here, but wanted some sound advice on a decision I need to make. In the mid-90's, my mother bought me the JEM LNG 777 as a Christmas gift. She found it in a music shop and I was a huge Vai fan so it was an awesome gift. However, I am now considering parting with it as I do not ever play it and I do not display it, so it is just residing in my closet. But, there are a few issues that I am unsure of considering the rarity of the guitar.

1. Over time the frets have gotten extremely dirty/grimy and the guitar could really use a clean-up and tune-up. However, there are no shops within a 100 mile radius that I would trust. Is there someone that specializes in these guitars that is reputable and I could ship it to?
2. I don't really know what the value would be, but there are a few issues that I don't know how much it will affect the price. First, the good things are that it has the tremolo cover and the matching serial numbered case. The bad is that the signature has worn somewhat and some years back, the neck was cracked and I had it repaired. It plays fine, but I know that it will have some negative impact on a buyer's opinion.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am very much in the dark when it comes to selling guitars and valuing them.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
welcome to jemsite. The value of LNGs come down to condition, condition & condition. This seems to be a player - played by previous owner(s) - more than a collector. How are the frets, hardware, etc. Then it will be cross-examined based on the #. If you are selling it I'd recommend you leave it as-is and not play around with it. No buyer cares about tune ups on LNGs.

Cracked neck hurts value, so does rubbed sig. Handrest & case makes more attractive but won't undue the damage.

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay any given day. That changes based on who wants one and what they'll spend. My opinions always favor the player/buyer not the seller/reseller/broker/Ibanez/etc. so i'll leave those out in terms of cost. List it high and "reasonable offers considered" ... glen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I may do that just to see what's out there. There is a good chance that I may end up keeping as well. It does have a great deal sentimental value and I do worry that once I sell it, I may regret it. Just hate that it's going to waste in my closet. Again, thanks!

·
Registered
403 Posts
What # is your LNG? We keep a registry of all LNGs we come across and was curious if we had yours. I'd love to see some pics of the front and back (even if the signature is rubbed off) if you can post some. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I had long forgotten I started this thread, but have added a link to some pictures. Hope to add more when I get home to give more details.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think if you're not desperate for the money, you should find a way to keep it and love it. It's an amazing guitar, and it's awesome your mum bought it for you.

·
Registered
589 Posts
As for your 2 concerns...i wouldn't worry too much about the first one as I'm sure the guitar would clean up quite well. However the neck crack is going to hurt value pretty significantly. IMO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts