Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How Critical Are The Miniscule Hairline Fractures Around The Nut Mounting Bolts On My Jem......i'm Freakin!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
As far as I know not critical in any way other than looks. (as long as the actual neck isnt cracked) They usually happen from a hard knock on the neck, or tightening the mounting bolts too tight. Have you ever seen a close up of Steve Vai's main Jem EVO??? It has massive open cracks where the neck meets the body. Somene please correct me if I'm wrong but they shouldn't effect playablity at all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I'm misunderstood but I am talking about the nut area and the 2 small allen screws...I have a tiny hairline crack.....is this common?
Jim

·
Registered
623 Posts
JJEMMER777 said:
As far as I know not critical in any way other than looks. (as long as the actual neck isnt cracked) They usually happen from a hard knock on the neck, or tightening the mounting bolts too tight. Have you ever seen a close up of Steve Vai's main Jem EVO??? It has massive open cracks where the neck meets the body. Somene please correct me if I'm wrong but they shouldn't effect playablity at all.
OP is talking about the nut area. The cracks in Evo run through her *body* and are a much more serious problem. Steve's pretty much retired Evo because of this, hasn't he?

flarocks, do you have pics? Rich has instructions for how to fix neck cracks here:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/crack_neck.htm

but you may just want to take it to a tech.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Sorry...I misunderstood the area you were talking about. I have seen and played many guitars with the hairline cracks in the body right where the neck meets the body and there was no playability problems at all. Again, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. THANKS!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Cracks at the neck pocket aren't an issue unless they migrate up the body, then you'll have tuning stability problems as the neck won't be anchored properly.

Cracks at the nut should be repaired. There are many tutorials, try ProjectGuitar.com for one, or find a qualified luthier. As thin as the necks are at that particular point, I'd get some glue in those cracks and get them repaired before they spread.

Assuming this is an older Ibanez with the allen wrench through the neck for the nut, it sounds like yours was overtightened. When tightening using an allen wrench, the best rule to use is this: Place the thumb on the bend of the allen, and the forefinger on the the end of the wrench. Torque the wrench in this fashion; when you feel significant resistance and have trouble turning the wrench to some degree, it's tight enough. Any tigher and you risk these types of cracks. It's not the only way to obtain them, as I've seen Ibanez's that were hit hard on the headstock develop this type of crack, but more often than not the catalyst for them getting started is overtightening.

~R

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The cracks seen at the neck-pocket are usually merely finish cracks and aren't actually cracks in the wood, unlike the cracks on Evo, which are serious cracks going right into the bodies wood (and getting worse!).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See, the thing is that this 'crack' less than the width of a human hair, starts at the bolt hole and runs parallel to the length of the neck for about 3/4 of an inch (heading towards the body). I can't see how rich's repair is even similar. this crack is no where near the edge of the neck. It is very minor I'm just paranoid. Will it open further or is this a common ailment. I have never adjusted or tightened the nut bolts and I can assure you my one year old jem (sparkle blue!) has spent little time out of its case.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I suppose the best thing to do is to just mark where the crack ends with a small piece of tape or a light pencil mark and then see if it gets any longer in time.

I was wondering if maybe the nut-bolts were over-tightened at the factory?
I've heard people say that theirs were loose from the factory but I don't know if anyone's had over-tightened ones.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
More likely it got dropped. That's the weakest part of the neck, and probably will get worse over time. I'd patch it if it were mine. While rich's repair is not the same kind of crack, the principle is the same. If you get some glue down in that crack, it will strengthen things up against becoming worse.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It's not the same at all.
The type of repair that Rich's tutorial covers depends on getting as much glue into the crack as possible by openeing up the crack slightly first and then not squeezing it together so much that the glue is all forced out.

With a crack behind the nut (as described here)there's no way of opening the crack so you cannot get any glue in there.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Agreed you can't open the crack, but you can still work glue down into the crack. It just takes longer. Or use thin superglue ... which will run in there no problem.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Bottom line is that it can be fixed, however, it doesn't need to be. I haven't heard of ANYONE with a crack the size of the one in EVO. If that happens, then obviously you're beating the HELL out of the guitar. Even still, it was a long time before EVO finally cracked, and with that said, it was still somewhat repairable because he's still uses it on tour.

As much as it sucks dealing with cracks from start or whatever, at least we know it won't destroy the playability or anything.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 1988 Jem has had these cracks for the longest time. When they first appeared 15 years ago, I had a local luthtier put some super glue on the crack. The crack will absorb the glue and you should have no problems with the nut area anymore.

·
Registered
37 Posts
JTM45 said:
...unlike the cracks on Evo, which are serious cracks going right into the bodies wood (and getting worse!).
Actually EVO has been repaired by Ibanez. They were able to inject some type of substance into the body of the guitar to hold it together. Was not able to get specific info from Michael "Mikey" Mesker or Steve Himself... other than the guitar is for all intents and purposes... fixed and road worthy. No tuning stability issues at this time (i.e., 2005 Real Illusions: Reflections tour).

Basically Steve said (paraphrase), "It's just wire and wood and it can be repaired. Ibanez found a way to inject something into the body and fix it."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most of the hairline cracks at the nut bolts that run the same direction as the strings are caused by over tighting the nut as well as moisture getting in to where the hole was drilled and causing a split.
Most are on the surface and not a deep crack in the neck from being banged!
I have Jems from 1988 that have them and they never get worse.
Its a flaw in how it is made but no big deal.

Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts