Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this one on ebay, and he says the frets were not fully scalloped from the factory. It seems the 21-23 frets were started, and the 24 wasn't touched. Can this be right?

From the listing:
"I had this guitar refretted with jumbo SS (Stainless Steel) frets. The last 4 frets were not fully scalloped from the factory. Neck and fretboard were refinished at the time of the refret."

·
Registered
176 Posts
Gonna need to see the stamps on the neck heel and the neck pocket for that one, as well as a more clear picture of the neck plate. Things don't look quite right.

Additionally, 132 is in the registry, and shows a very poorly retraced signature. This not the same guitar
Hood Netbook Motor vehicle Font Automotive design

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yeah something isn't right. I just shot the seller a message asking how he knows it's #132 given there are no markings to indicate it on the body. I didn't let on we have a pic of #132 on the registry.

I'll report back if I learn anything...

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I wouldn't trust it, but the color at least seems correct. The "last 4 weren't scalloped" makes ZERO sense given the limited numbers and this being their flagship guitar at the time.
The side dots are black. As I have never held a old gem like that with those inlays I don't know if the side dots would be black as they are on that neck. Almost like it was a 550neck with black dots and someone put those inlays in it, my thoughts. Yours?

·
Registered
356 Posts
So... the seller said in reply the sig is really faint and has faded. If you zoom into one of the pictures that is actually true. And it does look like 132. It's faint but it's there. That said - it doesn't match the sig and pattern seen on the Jem registry.

So we have a situation where either the guy has the number slightly wrong, or the picture on the jem registry is actually a fake sig / has the wrong number.

Curiously of my 2 LNGs 164 does not have a # next to the number but 353 does. They also do have black side dots.

I'll ask if the seller can take a better picture of the sig.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Seller wrote something back about not being able to provide a better pic and mentioned something unrelated about Vai putting symbols in the sigs.

Basically they're not interested in the fact another guitar out there has the same number but it does appear it's at least a legit LNG for now.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I am glad I am not a Jem guy... Reading all these threads about real or fake... That's frustrating garbage to sift through all the time. I'd constantly be second guessing everything I was browsing.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
My Jem is my favorite Ibanez guitar. Bought it new from the dealer, so no worries about fakery. I just don’t know if I will try a Jem Junior SP again. I just sold my yellow one, but I really love the look of the pink one.

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
I am glad I am not a Jem guy... Reading all these threads about real or fake... That's frustrating garbage to sift through all the time. I'd constantly be second guessing everything I was browsing.
Well, it's not that bad. If you buy your instrument from a reputable music dealer, you don't have to worry about fakes.
Cheers !

·
Registered
356 Posts
It looks to me like whoever did the refret job sanded the entire board back a hell of a lot during the process. I think this is what killed fret 24. You can see on frets 21-23 there is a flat area before it dips into the scallop. It would also explain why the black fret markers are so close to the top of the board.

Should imagine this guitar is actually fully legit, just had a lot of work done.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts