Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is the Jem Swirls (PMC, GMC & DNA) pickups are body mounted, pickguard is cut away for screw access, compared to the same body style on the FP & BFP, which they mount the pickups in the pickguard. Does anyone know why this was done? Also are any advantages or disadvantages.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
bluealien said:
Why is the Jem Swirls (PMC, GMC & DNA) pickups are body mounted, pickguard is cut away for screw access, compared to the same body style on the FP & BFP, which they mount the pickups in the pickguard. Does anyone know why this was done? Also are any advantages or disadvantages.
Well - the pups were oringally mounted directly the the pickguard up though approx 1990?? All I know is that was the way Steve Liked them. My 1988 FP has the guard mounted pups where as my 1991 FP & 1992 BFP have them mounted to the body. I can't tell any difference in tone between my two FP's.

But the body mounted pups sure makes it easier to work on;)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, I didnt know the FP pickup mounts changed, Why would they Change them to Body mount?

One Disadvantage I have found on my PMC, body mounted pickups is that the 2 humbuckers do not have springs, but the single coil does. So I had to add springs to get the pickup height I liked, it was just a bit to low. (Maybe they forgot to add them at factory?)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.