Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2012 Jem 7V and noticed that the pickguard shape is ever so slightly different from my RG750 (and from other older JEMs, for that matter). Specifically, the left edge of the upper left corner is now almost vertical (perpendicular to the tremolo top), whereas it used to be angled to the left on the older ones. No, my JEM is not a fake. Sorry I can't post pictures - not enough posts yet...

Does anyone know when this change occurred and why, oh why? I liked the older shape better. It gives the illusion that the pickguard is made of thin rubber that someone grabbed by the top corners and stretched to the left and right. Now much of the illusion is gone...

Would someone know if at least the holes are in the exact same places, so the two designs can be interchanged?

If you're not sure what I'm rambling about, compare the top left corner of the JEM 7V pickguard on Ibanez's site to a picture of a JEM777 and you will see...

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
All the RG550 and JEM pickguards I've seen are the same shape.
I've never had a 2012 in my hands.
I have seen the volume knob in different places.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The screw holes move around? Now that's a bummer... Why, just so you can't mix and match, or try different loaded pickguards? That's one of the great things you can do with Strats!

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
The screw holes move around? Now that's a bummer... Why, just so you can't mix and match, or try different loaded pickguards? That's one of the great things you can do with Strats!
Only by a very small amount. Enough so that the holes in the guard don't line up very well with the holes in the body. I'm talking ~2 mm off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That reminds me of the Korean RGs - their pickguards were always less attractive in that area next to the bridge. From the 1995 catalog:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts