Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually you'd need more than one shot but it's fake.
Thanks for the quick reply. I added three more pic links - I'm new to the forum so glad to see my links work. A pawn shop is marketing this guitar for sale - asking $750 but down to $600 but action is like a violin. Missing locking tuner but at headstock and backplate. I took photo of serial number that they didn't have listed on listing

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tale tele signs to look for? As for a Jem are tuners always the Gotoh tuners or can they be Ibanez logo’d as a option? I’d like to try to find one similar to this apparent fake but need to know what red flags there are on this model style.

·
Vendor
26,527 Posts
The simple answer is everything. Go on reverb and look at real guitars and pay attention to details, all the details. These were made with 3 different trems, and over the years slight details have changed like what is printed on a tuner. But fakes are ridiculously bad, if you can't spot that you shouldn't be shopping. But then, we're always here.....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Tale tele signs to look for? As for a Jem are tuners always the Gotoh tuners or can they be Ibanez logo'd as a option? I'd like to try to find one similar to this apparent fake but need to know what red flags there are on this model style.
Headstock shape is wrong and the way the wood is glued on the neck is wrong, J-craft logo is terrible. Tuners are fake/wrong (go check out Gotoh sealed tuners and compare), yes they can have an Ibanez logo on some older models but they are still the same Gotoh tuners and these are obviously fake. Bridge is wrong (compare to an Ibanez Edge, Lo-Pro Edge, Edge-Pro via google), golden volume/tone knobs are wrong (7V has white top plastic knobs), scratchplate is the wrong shape, the handle in the body is the wrong shape/size. The pickups are also wrong, go compare them closely to some Dimarzio Evolutions.

It's one of the obvious chinese fakes.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Tale tele signs to look for? As for a Jem are tuners always the Gotoh tuners or can they be Ibanez logo'd as a option? I'd like to try to find one similar to this apparent fake but need to know what red flags there are on this model style.
You've got the resident expert telling you that it is illegitimate, I would heed his advice. Also, if it helps, I've got more Jems and Umiverses than I do fingers and toes, and your example is 100% counterfeit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I informed the pawn shop that’s selling this one on offerup app in Vancouver Wa that it’s a guaranteed fake and someone will be really upset if they purchase with it being sold as a genuine Ibanez prestige jem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts