Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Do you get what you pay for?

• We are lucky they are not more exspensive!

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Yes, I think we pay a perfectly fair price for Jems

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Not really, overpriced in my opinion

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • Hell NO!! We pay way over the odds for these guitars

Votes: 5 11.1%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I think in comparison to top end RG's and J-Customs, Jems are overpriced. But compared to other manufacturer's signature guitars then Jems are about right.

Personally. I feel I got what I paid for on my 7DBK (bought new in Feb 05) I do not feel ripped off at all

·
Registered
59 Posts
I paid $1675 for my VSBL plus $100 for the case from ***ic123 back in March.
Than, I find out that I could've gotten one a year or so ago for $900 during a blowout sale from ****cians Friend. So, I totally paid too much. But, I love my guitar nonetheless. But, haven't all guitars gone up in price in the last few years?

·
Registered
881 Posts
for me, i don't care for the looks of the 7 vwh. but, at the time i bought one, i thought it was the best thing ever. so once i got really sick of how it looked, i felt like i paid a crap load of money for cosmetics. you can definitely find a guitar that plays and sounds as nice as a jem for much less. so yea, i think they're a bit overpriced, but not too much for a signature model.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Shredlix said:
You don't feel ripped off? Even when the cost to make one is less than 10% of what you paid?
You think this isn't true with gibson, prs, or any other brand for that matter? Hell it's even true with cars, houses, anything that is sold basically. Don't drop the bomb on the jem just because it is the nearest thing. :wink:

Anything and everything is gonna be sold for more than it costs to make. It's called profits. :wink:

And the fact that they're made overseas is going to mean they can make them for even less than if they were made in america.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure, but there is something called value for money, and that isn't something you get with most Jem/Ibanez guitars, and yes, it is the same for most other major guitar companies, but we're talking about Jems right now.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You also need to consider where they are made. I dont mean Japan America or Korea, but the Factories that they are made in. It's not free you know. Also there are employees that need to get paid, rent, electricity, machinery, permits, etc. And then, after all that, there is the profit. If Ibanez were to suddenly start selling their guitars for the price that it costs to make them, and paid for everything else out of their profit from before, they would'nt be in business too much longer IMO.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
the jem is an aspirational model. it is right that it is not readily affordable to the average player. it's the hero guitar of the range... the one which, if you can't afford it, makes you want to buy something else from the RG range. car companies do this all the time.

i think the value of owning a jem would be diminished somewhat if every newbie 14-year-old owned one. i like that they are more exclusive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Koss said:
You also need to consider where they are made. I dont mean Japan America or Korea, but the Factories that they are made in. It's not free you know. Also there are employees that need to get paid, rent, electricity, machinery, permits, etc. And then, after all that, there is the profit. If Ibanez were to suddenly start selling their guitars for the price that it costs to make them, and paid for everything else out of their profit from before, they would'nt be in business too much longer IMO.
I am not saying they should sell them for the price they make them, they of course have to make a profit, but ripping people off is something else.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.