Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again looking for makers of JEM Pyramid and Vine fretboards, selling to Europe.

It should be quartersawn, as JEMs do.

Monster Guitar Shop used to do boards but doesn't anymore.
Aiguitars currently uses too big a router bit, 1.3mm.

As for router bits, you see the difference of a 1.3mm bit to a 0.6mm bit.

Also looking for Ebony FB 650mm 10" radius 24 fret, shipped cheap.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Try Jaden Rose in the UK, I've had the privilege of seeing his workshop and the quality of his work is first rate. I would say that like many luthiers at the moment he may be very busy if you need your order filled soon....
He does vines, pyramids, DNA and other inlays.
Jim

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
JR takes £50 for a plain slotted ebony board, where AIguitars makes routed Ebony JEM Vine inlay boards for £24.58.
Should be Cheaper.

Pity AI doesn't do 10" rad boards, only 20"r.

·
Super Moderator
4,212 Posts
Haven't seen anything from JR.
So it's a unproven statement.
Perhaps, but it appears the options are limited. I have read many complaints about the sharpness of AIG boards, but if JR can deliver what you are wanting, then it is worth the price.

Expecting a better quality product for less would be nice, but not totally realistic.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Expecting a better quality product for less would be nice, but not totally realistic.
^^What he said... You really can't complain about someone's prices when faced with the idea that lower price equals more filler around your inlay and possibly less-than-happy results.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
...that lower price equals more filler around your inlay and possibly less-than-happy results.
Ain't no inlay whatsoever on the Eboy boards I'm looking for.
A Vine inlay should cost more than a plain board, ergo?

I want slotting and radiusing, the rest I'll do myself.

If LMI is to compare, $38 for 24 fret slotted 10" rad 650mm scale W.A. Ebony board is still better than the now £40 (65.98 USD) JR takes.
What kills LMI is their shipping costs, astronomically above Stewmac, etc.

Stewmac ships 1-2 Ebony boards for $13-$15 via Postal Air, or $23 for DHL Express Air.

·
Super Moderator
7,284 Posts
I'd still go with Jaden Rose for the quality, you say above it's an unproven statement, but it's not, you've just not been able to ascertain the quality yourself, but some of the others here that you'd asked for advice are saying it's been proved for them.

you seen a bit like goldi-locks of 3 bears fame though, this board is too expensive this one is routed with too large a router bit, this one you haven't seen in person. You're waiting for the board that' "just right" you might have to wait a long time ;)

For the tiny little difference in costs does it REALLY matter if you pay a little more than you'd like to get the quality you're after you'd also be able to save time and build the guitar then post pics here for us all to look at :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think Vai would settle for anything less than he wanted or expected in quality.
Thats why he chose JEM and Ibanez and no one else.

·
Super Moderator
7,284 Posts
I don't think Vai would settle for anything less than he wanted or expected in quality.
Thats why he chose JEM and Ibanez and no one else.
I agree, but he was also in a position to have folks building them for him regardless of cost.

Jaden would do that for you if you're prepared to take others' reassurances over the buid quality he demonstrates.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Jaden makes nice necks, but not top quality.

His fretwork and inlay could be more precise and is not up to Ibanez level (not even close).

I had to take my Jaden Rose neck to a professional luthier to get it done right. Just an honest opinion about his work. Jaden is a nice bloke to work with though.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

His fretwork and inlay could be more precise and is not up to Ibanez level (not even close).

I had to take my Jaden Rose neck to a professional luthier to get it done right. Just an honest opinion about his work. Jaden is a nice bloke to work with though.
do any vendors make necks on par with ibanez?

·
Super Moderator
7,284 Posts

Have to say this is the first time I've heard this about JR's work, but you have one if his works and I don't so you're opinion is based on first hand knowledge, mine's only second hand :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Please excuse the 'noobie' question,but which wood is used in the first set of two pics?, and when you say 'quartersawn' what does this refer when being specific to instruments (I do understand the different ways in which wood is cut and the consistencies in grain) to and does it affect the sound?

Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
It does help, thankyou, but is the sound affected / how is the sound affected?, and does this technique apply to both necks and bodies?

thanks again

·
Super Moderator
7,284 Posts
It's not so much the sound, quatesawn necks tend to be more stable than plain sawn or flat sawn wood.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts