Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a neck with the last four frets scalloped and was very surprised at how much easier it is to bend on those frets than on a regular neck. I always thought that scallop thing on a jem was just for looks, kind of like the monkey grip.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I just got a neck with the last four frets scalloped and was very surprised at how much easier it is to bend on those frets than on a regular neck. I always thought that scallop thing on a jem was just for looks, kind of like the monkey grip.
So you learned something useful today.:wink:

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
The monkey grip has a "pick up" functionality and is not for looks only.

the Lion's claw is probably the least functional thing on a jem

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Anytime you do something to the body of a guitar whether that's a monkey grip, or a lions claw, that affects the way the wood sounds. Wood has so many open properties to it and is affected by so much around it. Water, temperature, age, size, etc...

Yes cid the size of the wood counts too...;)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The monkey grip has a "pick up" functionality and is not for looks only.

the Lion's claw is probably the least functional thing on a jem
The Lion's Claw was useful for the big Edge trems. Now they are just for looks.

BTW, how do you pick up a guitar that isn't "fitted" with a Monkey Grip?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Lion's Claw was useful for the big Edge trems. Now they are just for looks.

BTW, how do you pick up a guitar that isn't "fitted" with a Monkey Grip?
you don't! those guitar are never going to be able to move, ever. they need a monkey grip to be able to be picked up and hence moved.

by the headstock?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I played a Caparison Horus that was fully scalloped (same specs as a Yngwie strat) and was completely surprised at how easy it was to play, I guess I had assumed it was going to be harder, except playing open D chord! I kept pressing too hard and sending sharp...!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have always wondered about scalloping the last 4 frets, as that would be the one place on the fretboard where your fingers would not touch the fretboard?

Would it not make more sense, if you were going to scallop the neck, to do it where the frets are space spaced further apart?

Just my $0.02 anyway.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Scalloping the higher frets also makes it less likely that you are going to "deaden" a string accidentally due to your trying to fit your large finger tips into a small fret. This is particularly true if you play faster.

I played around with an Yngwie model Strat at a store one time, and I noticed that the fully scalloped neck was great for single-note solos, but not as good for chords, particularly the unusual ones with long finger stretches and higher finger pressures. Neat guitar, though.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I think that the original scallops were to compensate for the overhang of the fingerboard onto the original bodies. I believe it helped give more volume to those notes.

Apart from my Jem I have to guitars with Half scalloped necks and it does take an adjustment to play, but it is easy to do. You can really bite into the notes as well!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a number of RG550's and I would always scallop the last four frets on them. Like you said, it makes them easier to play. I have a fresh RG550 that I still have to scallop the last four frets. The guy included a Chibanez white Jem. Pretty shoddy, but I'm thinking of setting it up and giving it to my 9 year old neice. It can be her first guitar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts