Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see that anyone had mentioned this, but it is kind of noteworthy as it refers to a lot of us here on Jemsite:

From the Ibanez 2002 catalog:
"Thanks to a loyal legion of dedicated Steve Vai/JEM fans (an amazing number of whom are impressive guitarists in their own right) each JEM guitar becomes an almost instant collector's item. Why "almost?" Because Steve Vai and Ibanez designed his gutars to be so playable and capable of such a wide range of tones that they simply can't be left in the case."

I like to think that they're talking about "us" in this catalog blurb.

BTW I am actually starting to like the new blue - more and more every time I look at the catalog.

One more thing, they are also listing the "Prestige" moniker by the description of the Jem neck - don't know if that means anything to anyone, but it's the first time I'd seen these necks referred to by this name.

(Edited by kirk at 9:02 am on April 4, 2002)

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
"Jem Series" 2002 Ibanez Catalog

I saw that little blurb too and instantly thought of Jemsite :)

I played one of the new JEMs last night when I picked up my RGT3120 (as well as one of the new JS2000s), and the finish definitely does grow on you. It's so subtle that you can't really appreciate it unless you've got one in your hands. Cool guitars, but I think I'll wait until they start hitting the secondary market before I even consider getting one.

I think that the Prestige neck simply means that the neck undergoes the extra few hand-finishing steps that the JS and Prestige model necks get. It's definitely a nice, smooth feeling neck.

·
Registered
633 Posts

Haven't seen the catalog yet, but it is nice to see that Ibanez recognizes all the JEM fans. I give it two thumbs up! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lame:

·
Registered
4,989 Posts

I asked about the "Prestige" comment before, and there is NO CHANGE in the process from what it was before, they're simply acknowledging the fact that JEMs are better than, say, RGs. :biggrin:

·
Registered
599 Posts

Interesting, but then -- what do they do to a guitar to consider it a PRESTIGE? Only hand finishing on the neck? It seems like no one knows this exactly. I mean, Ibanez sure charges a bit more for the PRESTIGE guitars, not just the signature models...

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I think there are significant differences in the Prestige models besides the finishing of the necks - you're taking about "upgraded" (using that term lightly) woods in the bodies, fingerboards and tops, different hardware (finishes on hardware more specifically) usually non-Ibanez pickups that are commonly direct mounted.

But we're talking about the necks here aren't we? I just thought it was unusual to see the Prestige tag on a "signature" (there's another heavily debated moniker) guitar.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts

time to add "prestige neck" to the FAQ.

as discussed before, the "prestige" logo shown in the cats is a marketing designation of a process that has been done to the signature model necks since they were first made. With the various models now sold, and signature axe pricing, labeling the japanese signature model necks as "prestige" makes absolute sense to me :)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts

dear Ibanez,
since you know we're there, i got a question for you:

...put out a new 540PII!!!!

·
Registered
599 Posts

Glen, that makes sense! However, I knew that much already. The only thing I want to know (which was my question in the first place) is what these exact "6 extra steps" are. Ibanez only says that and no more. So I'm curious as to what the difference will be between, say a SC620 and teh SC1620 Prestige model. Or the Prestige RG. Or the Prestige S. Ok, so it's something done to the necks -- but what? Do feel silkier? Are they multi-radiused? Do they deep fry them in batter? Or are we all swayed by the hype, citing "Prestige is better" as our mantra without realising that we don't even know why?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

yup. As I understood it, "Prestige" necks receive extra attention from the crew. Aren't Prestige Ibanez models simply a subset of the J-Custom line? Since the sig models are made in the same place, it makes sense that they would be classified "Prestige" too.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts

well, if they put a list price of nearly $2400, at the very least it should be a prestige neck......

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts

babahi on 5:47 pm on April 6, 2002
Glen, that makes sense! However, I knew that much already. The only thing I want to know (which was my question in the first place) is what these exact "6 extra steps" are. Ibanez only says that and no more. So I'm curious as to what the difference will be between, say a SC620 and teh SC1620 Prestige model. Or the Prestige RG. Or the Prestige S. Ok, so it's something done to the necks -- but what? Do feel silkier? Are they multi-radiused? Do they deep fry them in batter? Or are we all swayed by the hype, citing "Prestige is better" as our mantra without realising that we don't even know why?
what jem7vwh said ;)

Prestige is *not* hype.

Ibanez has not outlined what the steps are, but with the Prestige neck you can deduce the extra finishing touches, sanding/finishing the rear, tweaking the frets, etc. They are not multi-radiused (which would be absurd IMHO anyways) unless specified for a certain model (ie. JS1000 line). The difference between a 620 and 1620 should be *very* obvious and if it's not then get the 620 and pocket the spare change.

See the FAQ (last entry) for my outline of Prestige. Ibanez has been using the Prestige label since '96 with the USRG30s and when those were discontinued, simply shifted the "prestige" label to the j-custom for sales in the domestic japanese marketplace. Later on reintroducing "Prestige" guitars in the USA (import marketplace). It's very obvious that Ibanez is also using "Prestige" to distinuguish the models which get extra TLC, which is very smart IMHO... glen

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

yup. JEM's and J-Customs and their early USA Custom brothers and sisters have nicer necks IMHO. If you ever get a chance to A/B them, grab the highest model RG (non Prestige) you can find, then grab a JEM or a J-Custom. You'll notice a difference.

The first thing I always notice is the Quality Control. No one's perfect, and you'll come across a bum JEM or J-Custom every once in a while, but on the whole- a JEM7VWH neck is a JEM7VWH neck. There's a certain consistency that is sometimes lacking in the RG models. A perfect example is this RG-450 I have. I love it's neck. It's as close as you can get to a JEM7VWH neck at under $300.00. However, I've never found another one that plays like it. On the other hand, pretty much every JEM7VWH plays similar. Wide, fast, and rounded. Not as thick as the original 777 necks, but not as "flat" on the back as Wizard neck. That's the difference.

Of course, with bona-fide Prestige models (ie. RG3120 on up) you'll get the special Super Wizard neck with the extra volute work and all the fun stuff.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts

Kev - "PRESTIGE" as a marketing label... grasp it please... glen

PS - email me when you want to act rational so we can have a discussion someday here.

·
Registered
599 Posts

Very true, a marketing label. That's what I meant from the beginning, that it's a prestigious (no pun intended!) label, yet no one knows exactly what this extra care is. That's the hype I'm talking about. Not that it's untrue; I do feel a difference in the Prestige necks, I just wonder how far it goes. I love the silky feel of my CP neck. But I wonder what else differentiates it from the pack? Same as knowing which wood is used, which pickups, which dimension, whatever...

Glen, my comment about multi-radiused necks was not in earnest. That's why I mentioned it in the same sentence as deep frying them in batter! Really, we're still as far from an accurate answer as when the first question was posed. Nobody is really sure about any details, only that there is hand finishing on the neck and some extra attention to "certain details." But we don't know which details. Does "finest materials," as Ibanez puts it, right from the FAQ page here, relate to a different quality of wood?

It reminds me of a story I read as a kid... A contest was held where the first prize was a magic pen. The organiser claimed that the pen was magic because it could make no spelling mistakes. Finally, some kid wins it and decides to try out his new prize. When he complains to the man that it doesn't work, the man says "that's correct; it can't write! Therefore it will never make a mistake..."

·
Vendor
26,427 Posts

Kevan on 10:13 pm on April 6, 2002
jemsite on 8:58 pm on April 6, 2002
Prestige is *not* hype.
But the J-Customs are?
Dude...make up your mind.
Let's see if we can clear this up once and for all.

J Customs are not better than Prestige or Signature models. Period. They all have the same quality level. No doubt if there was a $3500 Prestige model it would be every bit the quality of any $3500 JC, unfortunatly (or fortunately depending on your perspective) $2000 is the high water mark for Prestige models right now.

The range of J Custom models runs from much PLAINER than a 3120, to slightly different (quilt top, added single coil, etc.), to more apealing vine inlayed neck throughs, to the exotic limiteds (arguable) which you personally own.

All J Custom means is the marketing label they put on their upscale home market product line (rightfully named because of the shop they are built in, just like the Prestige and Signature lines), which is starting to filter around the world as more distributors decide to dabble in the sales of these models. Are they better than your standard production RG550's? You bet. Are they better than a 3120? Nope, same level, price dependent of course.

I hope that was clear, I'm getting tired of typing it! ;)

·
Registered
5,659 Posts

If your theory were correct, then the Prestige RG-2120X would have DiMarzio's in it. It doesn't.

If your theory were correct, then we'd see J-Custom bodies with Prestige headstocks here in the US. We don't.
(Nor does it work the other way- 3120 with a JC headstock logo) Do you really think Ibanez would go so far as to print up TWO different headstocks, just to sell one in the US?

You're all-of-a-sudden lumping 3120's in with Sig. Models, or....let's go the other way....lumping JEM's in with the 2120's.
It makes no sense.

LOGIC and RATIONALE tell us that there is a model step or two between 3120 and a Chromeboy.
Ibanez will no doubtedly tell you the same.

Talk to your Ibanez source(s), Rich.
Not Chesbro...Ibanez.

·
Vendor
26,427 Posts

Kevan on 11:40 pm on April 7, 2002

LOGIC and RATIONALE tell us .
Your logic tells me nothing ;)

The Prestige label is sold all over the world, and yes, I've seen some pretty low line J Customs lately, I'll start copping a couple pics for you since only visual evidence seems to work for you. :eek:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts