Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I recently got the opportunity to test drive a DBK with a really nice trem setup for maximum flutter. I have always wanted to get flutter type tones off my jem77fp, to get what I mean listen to Vai's Blue Powder starting from (4:03-4:10). I know how to do the flutter technique and all but for some reason all I get is a funny thump sound on my jem. I can get some flutter but it's just no where near what Vai gets on Blue Powder, or what I could get using the DBK.

I also noticed the trem on the DBK had a significantly lower trem angle from that on my FP. The trem angle on my FP is somewhat like that of the setup pictures found on jemsite.

Thanks very much!

Christopher.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Sounds like you may have a loose trem arm to me - try replacing the bushings and tightening everything up in that area (the arm socket). If the arm is not well fitted into the socket, flutter will be signifcantly decreased - could also explain the thump sound you refer to.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Stretch the springs that should help break em in and get rid of alot of the stiffness. Look in the tech setup section here, and Rich's swirly banner above. As for why the trem looks different your FP has a Edge Trem and the DBK has a Lo Pro Edge both excellent in my opinion :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts