Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got four Ash body blanks ready to go.
I'm wondering what people want to see/buy.

JEM & UV specs

Rear route no pick guard or front route with pickguard
Three pickup or two Hums only
old neck joint or AANJ
old neck joint with plate or old neck joint with out plate
Six string or seven string
one volume one tone or only volume
lions claw six or seven and monkey grip

please list anything else you can think of

I plan to make up four bodies and sell them in the next few weeks.

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
JEM & UV Bodies

Personally, I like the JEM body along the lines of the multicolours :)

I like the direct mounted pickups, I like the rear routed control cavity, BUT I also like to have a clear scratchplate on my guitars :)

I prefer a H-S-H pickup configuration, but understand that is losing favour these days.

And I think for playability I prefer the AANJ, but for tone I actually prefer a bulkier neck joint along the lines of the JS/RG style.

hope this helps some :)

·
Vendor
26,378 Posts
JEM & UV Bodies

Ditto, your best market IMO is making rear route bodies for ATD to swirl. In both AANJ and standard neck joint.

·
Registered
602 Posts
JEM & UV Bodies

I would love to get my hands on a rear routed, six string Jem body with two hums only. AANJ, monkey grip, lion's claw, 1 volume & 1 tone. Basically a Jem with no single coil.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
JEM & UV Bodies

lately I have been moving towards dropping the single coil aswell, but these bodies are likely to be used for RG upgrades so best keep the single coil rout where it is,

but definatly direct mount! you can always stick a pickguard over it !

just my .02

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JEM & UV Bodies

Do you guys think most people are going to be using
necks with the old heal or the new AANJ.
The route is different for the two types.

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
JEM & UV Bodies

I think you'd have to go 50/50 on that one.

People wanting a body upgrade may well favout the AANJ, but those using an old RG and a new body for a progect guitar would likely wnat the old neck joint.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
JEM & UV Bodies

yup... you'll need both. all the old JEM/RG necks won't work with the aanj bodies and it's alot easier to find an old-style neck for a project axe than an AANJ neck. Good luck... glen

·
Registered
126 Posts
JEM & UV Bodies

What is the deal with people suddenly prefering H-H over H-S-H? There are so many more voice options with the H-S-H configuration. That is what makes it the ultimate guitar to me, I can make it sound like a Les Paul, and I can make it sound like a Strat.

(Uh I said the dreaded LP & S words, I can though because I own one of each.)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
JEM & UV Bodies

yeah I find H-S-H more versatile but I have to screw the middle pickup right down into the body because I get caught on it when I sweep (staggered pole pieces ) this significantly reduces the output so much that the tone is hindered and hence I dont use positions 2-3-4.

I guess I should learn to adapt ( I always go to the studio armed with philips screwdriver to bump it up for recording )

Steve

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
JEM & UV Bodies

I like the H-H setup though I don't have a problem with the single coil at all. Just like to have that space in between the humbuckers! A split coil to switch both humbuckers single would be cool. As far as neck joints go I love the all access but I'd still make some of the old style if I were you. Just my opinion..................

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
JEM & UV Bodies

I'd like to see a UV body with a monkey grip, lions claw, rear routed, H/S/H, vol+tone. If I were to get one it would be with an old style neck joint, because that's the kind of neck I have lying about. Although I am thinking of trying to get someone to do an AANJ conversion on it... but i think that most people will have old style necks...

The one thing I have always wanted as well is an input jack like the sabre on an JEM/UV/RG style body. The just look cool! I think I saw a jackson with one once, but I am not sure anymore, so it might be a myth...

(Edited by 7 Dying Trees at 11:59 am on July 17, 2001)

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JEM & UV Bodies

People that have the old neck can get a sudo AANJ
without even altering the neck.
I've done it and it work good!
You just make the body rounded over on the heal and forget the plate.
Then all you need is a set of four special washers for the screws.
I can do that for anybody, it works really good.

Sebastian

·
Registered
747 Posts
JEM & UV Bodies

Quote: from BloodySwirl on 4:57 pm on July 16, 2001
What is the deal with people suddenly prefering H-H over H-S-H? There are so many more voice options with the H-S-H configuration. That is what makes it the ultimate guitar to me, I can make it sound like a Les Paul, and I can make it sound like a Strat.
I don't see an issue with this, you can achieve just as much with H-H and some phasing/coil tapping

It's all personal preference I suppose.

Cheers
Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts