Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings from down under

I have a VDY jem ( wizard 1 neck) and use 9 gauge strings

I find if the temperature alters more than 5 degrees centigrade (41 degrees fareneheit) that the neck goes out and i have to re-adjust the truss rod.

I know that as this is a wizard 1 neck ( and one of the thinner wizard 1 necks) that the neck twisting / moving is probably the physics of having a very thin piece of wood under a lot of pressure.

I am very interested to hear from any other VDY owners/ afficiondos who have experiencied this or choudl shed any light on the subject.

I love my VDY - and can always adjust the neck and bridge back to happiness in about 2 minutes - so I live with this

It doesnt happen a lot - but iam just wonderign whehter this is a known entity of this model or if i have a dodgy neck ?

All views appreciated

I bought it 4 years ago from a guy for peanuts - i think he thought the neck was phuct

last year steve toured here ( oz) with billy sheehan
met them both at a meet and greet after the show ( only a bunch of yahoo competition winners whirr supposed to be at the meet and greet - but me and a partner in crime snuck in thru the fire escape :)

steve kindly signed the VDY twice - he and billy were really nice grounded dudes - no star****er BS

billy said "i feel so priveleged that i have friends all over the world and i can travel and meet them and play music "

and he meant it - not just a dime store assmokeblower :)

k - any input on my VDY neck saga would be mighty appreciated

thankx

gordo

·
Registered
204 Posts
5 deg C is quite cold for any guitar I would say. Are you exposing the neck at this temperature for a very long time? Unless there is a reason like outdoor gigs in winter, I would try to keep the guitar in warmer environments.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
he said "... alters more than 5 degrees".... i understood that with any difference of 5 degrees... (like say, from day to night) the neck goes out... :?

that sounds like theres something way worse going on...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
no, he explained it wrong... (i think...)

thing is, 5°C is 41°F... ok... now, going from 20° to 25° C (an alteration of 5°C, as he said), is going from 68° to 77° Farenheit... its NOT a 41°F alteration...

hope i made it clear...

what i meant is, a 5°C variation is not enough to f*ck a neck... something else has to be wrong if thats the case...

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Thats not true at all Marianozz. Most necks will shift a little the wizard is small enough it shifts alot, and im willing to bet our friend here uses super low action so the neck shift throws it quite a bit out of whack. Most every guitar ive ever played will shift somewhat from winter to summer, wood is always on the move whether you notice it or not is a different story altogether. I unfortunately live in Kentucky which is extremely humid this time of year.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Yes, i know wood moves and shifts... but a 5°C variation shouldnt be noticeable with an ok neck... 5° thats a more than normal temp variation from day to night, and i never met anyone that recalibrates twice a day... ;)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I can't say that this neck is "phuct" and I don't own a VDY. But I have a DSY which has a bit meatier neck, but it's gone through changes from 20C (indoor so ~75F) to -10C (~25F) without giving any trouble, whatsoever. I suggest you have a look at the complete set-up, including the basics such as neck bolts and plate, trem posts, springs, toplock bolts, string tree, etc. I think this is what marianozz is getting at.

Sniper als has a point when he mentiones humidity, but for a piece of wood to settle in humidy, you need some time, I would estimate at least 2x24hours, perhaps even a week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
many thanks for all of your kind input :)

*sniperfrommars* was right - I use a super low action - I have had 4 different gitarre`techs look at it - and all the opinions differ - but i love my VDY and can live with its idiosyncrasies - I plan on buying a VWH later this year - I have two ibanez musician series basses and an ibanez MC500 musician guitar - they all have ebony fretboards - and i love that - so a VWH is the next stop

thanks again friends

katch you in the wind

cheers

gordo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts