Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would just like to say that I don't know much about Jem guitars and sadly I have never played one. I'm just wondering since it's exactly 1 thousand $ more expensive then RG3570Z.

From a build quality stand point, not the material per se, is the build better or similar ?
I know you can always get a bad guitar, one made on monday morning ;)
I have seen my share of dogs from Fender and Gibson.

I know Vai get's a few bucks for every guitar sold but does it have more checkpoints ?

I really want a JEM7 but it's kind of hard when you have a great guitar like the RG3550 or the 3570.

Please inform a noob in this area, and in no way am I putting down the JEM, just wondering.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
in my opinion, a prestige level rg with a lopro/edge/edge pro with evolutions is basically a jem. sure there is no monkey grip, lions claw and the neck profile is slightly different but i don't know why you'd pay the extra 1 grand just for that.

prestige level ibanez's are pretty much equal in terms of quality with jems.

·
Super Moderator
7,284 Posts
I agree that's there's very little difference between a high end prestige guitar and a JEM. Things like neck profile and whether you need a handle cut through your guitar are very much a personal taste issue.

However the vibe or mojo or whatever you want to call it that some folks get from a JEM simply because it is what it is, is easily worth $1000 to some folks.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I agree that's there's very little difference between a high end prestige guitar and a JEM. Things like neck profile and whether you need a handle cut through your guitar are very much a personal taste issue.

However the vibe or mojo or whatever you want to call it that some folks get from a JEM simply because it is what it is, is easily worth $1000 to some folks.
yeah. i've learnt over the last few months how the finish (colour) of a guitar affects you in subtle ways too.

·
Registered
597 Posts
People that attempt to compare the actual value of a Jem versus other seemingly comparable Ibanez guitars invariably come to the same conclusion. The Jem simply does not have an extra $1000 worth of parts on it.

But at the same time, you don't generally buy a Jem because it's a great value, you buy it because you want a Jem, and putting a price on that is a little more tricky than adding up the value of the parts.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
People that attempt to compare the actual value of a Jem versus other seemingly comparable Ibanez guitars invariably come to the same conclusion. The Jem simply does not have an extra $1000 worth of parts on it.

But at the same time, you don't generally buy a Jem because it's a great value, you buy it because you want a Jem, and putting a price on that is a little more tricky than adding up the value of the parts.
yeah, i can't understand why people would pay $1000 extra just because it's a jem. maybe if you were a collector or something. but i've never been able to understand why people pay so much for steve vai's guitar when some other rg's are much cheaper and almost identical.

ok, yes, this site is called jemsite, but please don't impale me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't think you can get the same neck profile on anything but a Jem. Either the radius is different or the thickness is different.

I may be wrong...

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
If you read up on the original RG design, it was adapted from the Jem designed for Steve Vai. It was intended as a lower-priced but different version of the Jem. Basically the body and hardware are identical as far as materials and craftsmanship. The fretboard also will have comparable workmanship. What you get with the Jem as opposed to the RG:

1. Jem-specific neck profile
2. Vine fretboard inlay (in most cases)
3. Handle grip and lion's claw
4. More expensive pickups
5. Angled input jack unique to Jem and J-Custom
6. Much more limited production
7. A Steve Vai signature guitar

These obviously don't add up to the price difference, but that is basically what you get. I've never liked the fact that in recent years, the Jem's have mostly been offered in very plain finish options. For the amount of money, I feel like you should get some really unique finish, like the swirl or floral guitars.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I don't think you can get the same neck profile on anything but a Jem. Either the radius is different or the thickness is different.

I may be wrong...
I think it pisses people off when I say it but Wizard 2 is very close to feeling like the Jem neck. Sure, the Jem neck, and overall, is better quality, but in terms of feel... if you can feel a difference in an 30 mm radius then you're a surgeon! ;)

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
You're starting to split hairs when you compare necks, but the most obvious thing that absolutely everyone can feel is the thickness of the neck. The Jem neck has the same thickness and taper as the Wizard II, but the fretboard is flatter on the Jem and the neck is a different profile. I believe the Wizard profile is more boxy, where it's mostly flat across the center of the profile while the Jem is closer to a triangle in shape.

The funny thing (to me at least) about the Wizard profile in general is that I feel like it's more of a marketing gimmick than anything. People associate shredding with extremely thin necks and so Ibanez gives them what they want. But if you look at it, very few of the big names who endorse Ibanez actually use guitars with extremely thin necks.

I have two guitars: an '01 RG3120 and an '04 RG8520. The '01 has a "Wizard Prestige" neck that's 18mm at the first fret, 20mm at the 12th fret and has a nut/last fret spec of 43/56. The '04 neck is a Wizard profile but is a bit beefier with 19.5/21.5mm thickness specs and 42/56 width specs. I can honestly say the thicker neck is more comfortable to play. The thickness of the neck is not what's limiting my speed, my technique is.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
interesting story, someone told me today that their brother bought a jem7v for 5 grand Aus. my jaw dropped, considering you can get the new rg3550z's or whatever they're called with "real" dimarzios in them for like...1.7-2k Aus.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I've played both and the Wizard 2 feels very much like a Jem neck. You're talking 30mm on the radius, not overall depth. Not much of a difference. IMO, the only time it feels "boxy" is when the neck has binding. Again, you're still looking at better construction on the Jem neck.

I dig the new super wizard and, to kind of get back on track, it is nice to see it back. IMO, though the best of both worlds is the Prestige Wizard. The 1550's look pretty good, and they still have Edge Pro.
3550 has great pickups, though, the super wizard, AND that killer ROM finish.
I guess if you're thinking of getting a Jem I think the best advice anyone could give is that you play one yourself and make the call.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Remember the important questions when buying a guitar: Will it help you get girls?
And as Steve Vai points out, yes yes it will, there is no other guitar like the JEM in looks.
and 2nd question: Will you look cool?
again the answer is yes, and remember its not about how well you play its about how cool you look playing it. ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Remember the important questions when buying a guitar: Will it help you get girls?
And as Steve Vai points out, yes yes it will, there is no other guitar like the JEM in looks.
and 2nd question: Will you look cool?
again the answer is yes, and remember its not about how well you play its about how cool you look playing it. ;)
jems are ugly as ****, IMO

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got a RG3550MZGK two days ago. Still needs some setup, but plays great anyway. Super Wizard, Edge Zero, Dimarzios... I just might start selling my Jacksons.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think it pisses people off when I say it but Wizard 2 is very close to feeling like the Jem neck. Sure, the Jem neck, and overall, is better quality, but in terms of feel... if you can feel a difference in an 30 mm radius then you're a surgeon! ;)
Agreed. I much prefer 6105 frets to jumbos, but otherwise they might as well be the same neck aside from the tiny difference in radius. I always preferred the Wizard 2 over the thinner Wizard and it's a shame the neck has generally been confined to the lower range guitars.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts