Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I got a Fernandes sustainer put in my guitar. For the money I spent on parts and installation, I could've bought a Fernandes guitar...but who would want one? :D Here is a crappy pic (intel webcam) of my guitar. I'll post more pics if I get requests.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Too bad you had to add all that black hardware to your white guitar. Had you gone with a Sustainiac unit, you could have got a white driver, kept your bridge Evo and used push-pull pots instead of mini-switches to preserve your JEM's pristine appearance.

Gripes aside, how do you like it? :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I like it alot. The bridge pickups aren't as bad as I thought they would be. I know about the Sustainiac. However, at the time that I wanted to order one, their stock was out. I'm very happy with the Fernandes though. Not having played the Sustainiac, I can't really compare the two.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Change it to black and white zebra humbucker & sustainer and a white single coil in the middle of the pearl pickguard. Add 2 Gibson style black speed knobs with push/pull pots and I'm gonna start to :DROOL:!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WMerkert, $200 for the sustainer kit, $250 for installation. I took it to a professional luthier (La Guitar Factory). I'm sure installation could be had for cheaper, but this was the guy's first time installing one (but I trusted his work from previous experience). Also, they ran into a problem that required a proprietary part not included with the kit. They called Fernandes tech support who said that even they didn't have the part (which is really strange). So a workaround and some soldering was performed.

I can honestly say that I recommend this particular sustainer. However like I said, not having played the sustainiac, I can't really compare the two. The sustainiac looks like a cleaner system (no switches to install).

As for white pickups. I like the black/white/gold contrast. Maybe it's just me. :wink:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I like the switches....thats why I prefer fernandes. I have wanted to do this mod for a long time. Darren and I had a useful conversation about it all in a previous thread. (Thanx again man).
I've never been a big fan of push pull pots. I have one on my washburn and the thing irritates me because I can't use them without sending noise through my amp from my sloppines. go figure!
Anyhow, why did you have to change the bridge pickup?...I didn't know that was neccessary, and it doesn't look like Steves FLO had that done....

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
You don't *have* to use push-pull pots with the Sustainiac... it's just an option if you don't want to drill more holes in your guitar's face. I prefer the cleaner look.

I'm really curious as to whether it's absolutely necessary to replace the bridge pickup with the Fernandes unit as well... my guess is that they include it to make installation more of a no-brainer.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
They may have a pickup that requires more wiring so you can shut it off without having to choose the neck pickup to turn the sustainer on. Ive only used the single coil in the neck fernandes guitars so who knows. If it were me here, white bobbin toppers, and new knobs. Those knobs look like butt. But the rest looks nice, and they did a good job with the routing *better than flo*. All in all nice guitar. Have any more recent pics?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
sniperfrommars1 said:
They may have a pickup that requires more wiring so you can shut it off without having to choose the neck pickup to turn the sustainer on. Ive only used the single coil in the neck fernandes guitars so who knows.
I'm confused with what you're saying here. The way Sustainers are usually wired, when you turn the Sustainer on, no matter where your pickup selector switch is, it turns on the Sustainer circuit and activates the bridge pickup. You don't need to choose the neck pickup to activate the Sustainer... unless yours is wired up in a really unique way.

I'm guessing that it wouldn't be too difficult to swap out the bridge pickup, if you're somewhat handy with electronics. Just follow the wires from the bridge pickup and match up the conductors.

Whomever did the installation for you really did a nice job... that routing looks nice and clean.

·
Registered
151 Posts
8O that one looks nice. thumbs up. the routing just looks like it had always been there... the knobs look a little out of place though. as do the bridge humbucker.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Jeroenn said:
Flo was a FLOral ... 77fp. With converted oldstyle heel joint, so a 7v or 555 neck (as used later) fitted.
yeah, I somehow got the idea that I was on the other thread were jemsite (or someone) claimed that FLO (the latest, or 1999, version) wasn´t a 77fp but rather a 7vwh.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I love it the way it is! I really dig the route for the battery. I might have that done on mine... Eddie! How much more should I send you on the check for this? :) Where did that battery compartment come from?

My advice is to keep it how it is. It's very unique. Unique is good. Especially these days when uniqueness is hard to come by.

Gabe

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you could have kept the bridge EVO. I mean, they have other sustainered guitars made by Fernandes with Duncan JBs or EMG/HZ pickups in the bridge. They just send that "high-output humbucker" for those that don't have one that's high output, or don't have one at all.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I just saw this thread......I'm liking the Sustainer! Good job of installation, too. Looks like there is more work than appears and I am VERY curious. Gabe, I'll check it out for you. As I always state, any mod can be done :wink:

If the pups have the same pole spacing as other pups, Bobbin Toppers would work fine. I'd like to see a close-up of the bridge pup. I kind of like the way it looks as is :wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts