Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the local shop yesterday and wound up (as usual) talking with the luthier there who's been a good friend for 20+ years, and I was retelling my tale of woe regarding the ongoing search for my ideal guitar. I buy, sell, buy another, sell it....continually looking for "THAT" guitar.
He then said why don't I mod the strat- he was setting it up while we spoke.
So, why not?Here's a pic of it now...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/jdc1358/WarmothStratPodouk.jpg

First, he's going to scallop the ebony board, shave the back down to closely approximate a wizard, drop a humbucker into the bridge position maybe a JB jr first before routing- it already has a Floyd- upgrade to oil 300Hz pots and rewire the middle tone like an Eric Johnson.
I'm looking forward to the project and will post pics when finished....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,217 Posts
Here's my Floyd Rose / Warmoth Strat that I completed a few years ago.

Warmoth 2 pc. swamp ash body, finished with a matte, hand rubbed polyurethane.
Warmoth compound radius maple neck w/ 1/4" rosewood board. Thin "C" shape. Finished with several coats of nitro laquer.
Original Floyd Rose bridge w/ Ibanez Edge Pro non-locking posts and studs.
Evo bridge w/ coil cut mini switch , Gold Fender Lace sensors in the neck and middle. Warmoth mother-of-toilet seat pickguard.
Gotoh tuners, 250K pots, DiMarzio 5 way switch, Standard Strat control layout.

One day, when I get off my lazy butt, I'll create a site and host a few more photos of my custom creations.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,952 Posts
ScreamJem7 said:
Here's my Floyd Rose / Warmoth Strat that I completed a few years ago.

Warmoth 2 pc. swamp ash body, finished with a matte, hand rubbed polyurethane.
Warmoth compound radius maple neck w/ 1/4" rosewood board. Thin "C" shape. Finished with several coats of nitro laquer.
Original Floyd Rose bridge w/ Ibanez Edge Pro non-locking posts and studs.
Evo bridge w/ coil cut mini switch , Gold Fender Lace sensors in the neck and middle. Warmoth mother-of-toilet seat pickguard.
Gotoh tuners, 250K pots, DiMarzio 5 way switch, Standard Strat control layout.

One day, when I get off my lazy butt, I'll create a site and host a few more photos of my custom creations.

Sweet ;), but "Warmoth mother-of-toilet seat pickguard" :lol:.

Regards

André
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:
The luthier called me today- after discussion and decision we've ordered a black Evolution for the bridge and will put black single coil covers on the others to tie-into the scalloped ebony neck. I think this, along with the gold hardware and an aged green guard will look nice. Now....what knobs to get???????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,514 Posts
jemaholic said:
I was in the local shop yesterday and wound up (as usual) talking with the luthier there who's been a good friend for 20+ years, and I was retelling my tale of woe regarding the ongoing search for my ideal guitar. I buy, sell, buy another, sell it....continually looking for "THAT" guitar.
He then said why don't I mod the strat- he was setting it up while we spoke.
So, why not?Here's a pic of it now...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/jdc1358/WarmothStratPodouk.jpg

First, he's going to scallop the ebony board, shave the back down to closely approximate a wizard, drop a humbucker into the bridge position maybe a JB jr first before routing- it already has a Floyd- upgrade to oil 300Hz pots and rewire the middle tone like an Eric Johnson.
I'm looking forward to the project and will post pics when finished....
That's going to be nice! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,952 Posts
jemaholic said:
Update:
The luthier called me today- after discussion and decision we've ordered a black Evolution for the bridge and will put black single coil covers on the others to tie-into the scalloped ebony neck. I think this, along with the gold hardware and an aged green guard will look nice. Now....what knobs to get???????
Gold toppin boppers of course ;).

Regards

André
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update -
The neck is finished and polished! That ebony board looks great and he managed to keep the side and top dot markers intact with deep scalloping. I was concerned the ebony might have striations as he dug into it, but it was black all the way in.The black Evolution is in, but the single coil covers are still creme- those have to get replaced along with the knobs and position switch cap. A bar was installed behind the nut to hold down the strings and the back of the neck was shaved flat and thin, then sanded and polished. He said because the Podouk wood is so dense, he could shave it down further than a maple neck. I'm trying it out today and will post a pic or two after work tonight...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,952 Posts
jemaholic said:
Update -
The neck is finished and polished! That ebony board looks great and he managed to keep the side and top dot markers intact with deep scalloping. I was concerned the ebony might have striations as he dug into it, but it was black all the way in.The black Evolution is in, but the single coil covers are still creme- those have to get replaced along with the knobs and position switch cap. A bar was installed behind the nut to hold down the strings and the back of the neck was shaved flat and thin, then sanded and polished. He said because the Podouk wood is so dense, he could shave it down further than a maple neck. I'm trying it out today and will post a pic or two after work tonight...
Sounds sweet congratz :).

Regards

André
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
jemaholic said:
Update -
The neck is finished and polished! That ebony board looks great and he managed to keep the side and top dot markers intact with deep scalloping. I was concerned the ebony might have striations as he dug into it, but it was black all the way in.The black Evolution is in, but the single coil covers are still creme- those have to get replaced along with the knobs and position switch cap. A bar was installed behind the nut to hold down the strings and the back of the neck was shaved flat and thin, then sanded and polished. He said because the Podouk wood is so dense, he could shave it down further than a maple neck. I'm trying it out today and will post a pic or two after work tonight...
I would think you might want to go with a humbucker in the neck, or at least a loud single as Evolutions are loud. Play with it a while and see if it works for you with H-S-S first though!
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top