Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm awaiting my brand new 505 that I found in a local guitar shop. It was sitting in it's case out back but due to chatting about them it's found a new home.

I've been after a Jem for a few years but some things I didn't like, such as the fretboard. If I'm a Jem owner I want a maple board with no vine, so this is a great starting point for me. So by the end of the week I'll have it. It' s white, brand new but will soon have a new pick guard (either plain black or a patterned black and white) green knobs, pink and green gravity storms and a green truss rod cover.

I'm debating swirling the body at some point. I'm a guitar builder and while I'm comfortable painting bodies, I have never done a swirl, so might leave that for a while, or at least test on one of my bodies first.

Anyway, hello and thoughts welcome, as are any images that might guide me. I'm mostly an N4 player so this will be a bit different!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, I have a question.
My N4 has a bill and becky l500 in the bridge and I like that tone.
I had adone a lot of reading on the gravity storms but, having never heard them in person, do you think they'll be a good fit. I'm after a little versatility but this machine will be aimed at the times when I want to shred. Would evos make more sense?

The more I read the more unsure I get. I like harmonic complexity but with some warmth. I'm just not sure if the GS will retain the clarity I'm after.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NGD! Jem505 to tinker with

Well I have her and she's on the walk of the studio. No fettling yet other than a fret polish, setup and new nyxls. It's been sitting in its case in a stock room for nearly 8 years but now the tags are off and plays so well!

There was a little buzz around the 17th fret but cured that easily enough.

Here she is!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks and yes, totally agree.
I can't seem to put it down long enough to do anything with yet! I'm taking that as sign of a good instrument. Event the standard pickups are pretty good, although I will still be grabbing some gravity storms.
So far all I've done is a hot pink cliplock and dropped the single coil level with the plate. One thing that I was finding tough is getting pinched harmonics. They're all there but I'm used to getting below the stings a bit more and that has helped hugely!

A black pickguard has just arrived too but will leave that until the new GS arrive.

·
Super Moderator
9,713 Posts
I love mine :) I have the white one as well, threw some Bartolinis in it (like i always do) and it's a fantastic guitar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to admit: never tried bartolinis but heard good things. Maybe...

Next question. Does the edge suit the addition of a big brass block? My n4 did with an original Floyd.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The more I play this the less I want to put it down! Although I have done, long enough to make some changes.
Now I have swapped the pick guard and trusted covers for the blakck, changed controls for pink and installed the gravity storm set.
I have to say I'm loving it all except the pink. I was hoping for something a bit brighter, so if you know where I can get some hot pink ones please let me know!

Here she is:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts