Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Jem70v vs Jem505

6K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  RLH_1976 
#1 ·
Help! i want a jem. but a reasonably priced one with these folowing specs.
1.Original Edge bridge (awesome)
2.Dimarzio pickups (sweet)
3.W/6105 Frets (stainless steel i beleive)

Now, it seems you can get a cheap jem with two of these specs, but not all three.

The jem70v has the bridge and pickups i would like, but has a premium jumbo fret neck (albeit a nice neck). so i guess the frets wont be as long lasting as the w/6105 frets.

The jem 505 has the bridge and frets i would like, but doesnt have the Dimarzio pickups. (a jem with ibanez pickups? c'mon!)

So as you can see, two guitars, the correct specs between them, but i wish you could get-
a jem70v with w/6105 frets
or
a jem505 with Dimarzio pickups.
or
am i being silly, and really the jem70v premium neck would be nice/durable enuf for me. im after w/6105 frets because i dont want to pay a HUGE chunk of cash on a guitar that has the same fast-wearing fret material thats on lower priced ibanez guitars. i have a grg270b and have destroyed its frets in 2 years!

See less See more
#4 ·
thanks for the replies. i really need to go n test em. my concerns are-
-if i buy second hand id by worried the trem was abused within ana inch of its life.
-if i go for the jem70v and it needs new frets after 2 years, ill never know if the w/6105 would have lasted better.
again thanks for the replies.
im now thinking, is it worth geting the jem505 (correctbridge/neck frets) and just fit dimarzios. or risk the 70v premium neck turning out to be worn to hell in no time! Or the hassle of finding a good cheap 2nd hand model.
wish it wasnt so hard (expensive!) to get an rg style guitar with silver hardware edge trem, dimarzio, stainless steel frets!

#6 ·
Not sure how much you play....but by what you write looks like your playing 8-10hours a day. I think if you bought a jem70v and the fret get worn out fast you probably would get a new one from the store. Try them out, i wouldn't be surprised if you find the neck of the 70v feeling better,the frets are very smooth. And there wouldn not be that much of a hassle to get a used jem.

#5 ·
The frets on the 70v and neck is very nice,and i think they will last,and can't be compared to the 270 you have got. And if you got the 270 then the 505 and 70v will be so much better that i think you will be satisfied. There is meny things you could do, buy a 505 and change the pickups or as stated above buy a used one with everything you like. There seems to be meny 7vwh out there. 6100 frets on some old jems might be somthing to consider.

#7 ·
Well it's a lot cheaper & easier to put new pups in the 505 than it is to re-fret the 70v. But that being said, personally I would take the 70v over the 505. I have played both in the stores and liked the feel & sound of the 70v better. It feels much closer to a "real" Jem than the 505 IMO.

#9 ·
I have to choose the 505WH!
It's playability is like heaven.
And if you replace the pickups you almost have a 777 (just the scalloped vine neck)
I realy love playing it, and I played the 70V several times and I can't help myself but it's just a upgrated 555....!
I'll keep my 77BRMR, 7VSB and 505WH and gonna wait for the next new (affortable) JEM

#10 · (Edited)
cool. the 555s the one with edge3 right?
ohh, im confused now! you see, lots of people say the 70v looks good but for my personal taste, im not masivly keen on the colour- it looks like a 'normal' strat at a glance, but overall it looks great as i aint keen on gold hardware. the 505 however, some people say looks basic/cheap/colour scheme not good- i personally prefer the look of the 505. i love the 70vs vine inlay but dont want/need it (i wonder if id lose my fret position easily on that vine desighn!) i prefer the look of ebony/rosewood finger board over maple, but i guess theres little difference in how it feels/plays. i hope that by the time i can afford one, ill have decided 505 or 70v, or that ibanez will have brought out more premium or budget version of a jem/satch model (am i in trouble for mentioning satch on jemsite!) with, of course- original edge/dimarzio/stainless steel 6105 frets.
question, does the 505 and/or 70v have the much championed high pass filter, and is it push pull like on js series?
again, thanx greatly to those who have replied to my long winded ponderings!
p.s. im now thinking, yes to the 505, i guess the white one is only available with black harware! I WANT CROME/NICKEL COLOUR HARDWARE! spose im stuck with getting the black one. ( or settling for th jumbo fret premium necked 70v if i want a non dark colour with chrome/nickel hardware)
i wish i could just go- hello ibanez custom shop, im mr vai, can you build me a jem in x colour with x hardware and x specs. for standard price! or just stick a higher spec neck on a white with chrome h/ware 505. for standard price!!

#11 ·
As another poster already mentioned, why not look at buying a used guitar? That way you can get a better guitar for the same amount you're looking at spending. And if you decide to resell, you can usually get what you paid for it back instead of taking a loss. I've seen used Jem7VWHs for less than the cost of a new Jem70V. Most music stores in major cities will sell used gear and usually have a website up listing their used inventory. Or you can check the online classifieds sites. With that said, the Jem70V isn't a bad guitar at all - it sounds & plays great, looks great. Certainly a step up from the 505 if those are the only two you're considering. But personally, I think the Japanese made Jems are the best ones and I don't think anyone would argue with that. I don't mean to disparage Indonesia, Korea, India, or all the other places where guitar brands are using factories these days. But there's a certain level of craftsmanship I've found in Made In Japan & USA guitars that I haven't found in guitars from anywhere else, after buying some of everything in many different price ranges (from mid-range to top shelf/artist quality). And yes, you can send people from Japan or the USA to train factory workers in other places and sometimes that results in good work. But the best guitars I've played, Ibanez being no exception, were all made in Japan or the USA. So my advice would be get a used Jem7VWH which was made in Japan, and stay away from the 505 and 555. The 70V is cool, but the 7VWH is a better guitar and you want a guitar that will grow with you instead of one you'll need to upgrade later.

#16 ·
If it helps your decision, I don't believe the Jem505 has stainless steel frets. Both guitars have normal nickel frets.

The profile is different though - 6105 have a "narrow and tall" profile compared to standard jumbos. I like 6105s a lot more than standard jumbos for what it's worth, they don't develop such a massive flat spot as they wear, and in higher registers on the neck it feels less 'crowded'.

I'm guessing Ibanez's "jumbo" size is Dunlop 6100 wire or equivalent (someone might be able to confirm), you can see the difference here: http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/FretSizePop.aspx

#17 ·
thanks you guys. im now looking into second hand Jem7VWHs (do these come WITHOUT gold hardware?) id look at presige range but im not sold on the feel/longjevatity of the edge zero bridge. (thtas why im steered towards satch/vai models cuz the have the edge original) i just seem to me that the jem 70v is just a 555 thats had an edge bridge put in place of the inferrior edge3, and has 5pc neck instead of 3pc. woopie woo! ah, i spose hell will freeze over before ibanez allow customers to spec/or have a range of prestige that you can pick bridge/fret/pickup type, and isnt a signiture. im just picky and the priorities in my life at the moment Dont allow for spending over a grand on 1 guitar! THANKS GREATLY FOR ALL REPLIES, ITS HELPED ME A LOT TO SEE PEOPLES OPINIONS ON THIS.

#19 ·
The thing that holds me back from getting a 7vwh is that gold hardware... After a few years of playing al the gold wears off so the 505WH with it's nickel hardware and half it's price pulled me over the line.
And guys, that V7, S1 and V8 are realy not bad at all!
Oke, DiMarzios are better but I am not gonna pay €250,- extra for somewhat better sound.
My 77BRMR souds beter but my 505WH is also a dream and has a hell of a finish, I play it a lot more then the 77BRMR
Your fingers fly over the fretboard!
So... no gold hardware on the 7VWH here. Sorry...

#26 ·
spose i better try out a 70v and 505 then. the one tiny thing (apart from cheaper price/better pups) the 70v might have over the 505 (for my personal preference) is i beleive the neck on 70v isnt as superthin as jems of old/505, witch could swing it for me as im slowly starting to think i suffer more fret hand fatigue on thin necks if playing for a hour or so, compared to fatter necks (is this just in my mind?!) by fret hand i mean thumb joint fatigue if playing legato, i guess the super thin necks cause my hand/thumb to be more 'closed' up than a fatter neck. any way, id adjust/get around that if i could just get my hands on any JEM!!

#28 ·
I used to own jem70.... Offer at $1500 singapore dollars new... Its good good and the neck is smaller but thicker than jem prestige... The guitar has no problem at all... I sold it after keeping it for 6 months... I never own 505 but if given a choice at same price i will choose 505 for value in long term.... 505 is $2100 in my country.... Its quite a huge difference in price compare to 70v

#29 ·
I've owned both and would recommend the 505 over the 70V for the simple reason that it's the MIJ model. Nothing at all against the 70V as it is a fine instrument but the Indo quality control just isn't up to par with the Japan shop. Might I also suggest you look into the Jem 7DBK? It's a Japanese model with pretty much everything you want. (not sure about the fret wire material) If you can get past the fact that it won't win any beauty contests it's a great guitar too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.