Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I just acquired an '88 777dy (I'll post an NGD soon). It's not in particularly great condition, but it's not too bad. My question is about the pickups. The single coils is heavily faded. If I get a new pink cover for it, it will really stand out compared to the other two (which actually aren't too bad). So, I'm thinking about replacing all three with new ones. I'm wondering if you guys think I should do this or leave them original(I plan on mildly restoring the guitar, but I'm not trying to bring it back to new condition). If I do replace the pickups, I think I'd like to try out a set of Gravity Storms. What do you think, should I change it up, or stick with PAF Pros?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the paf pro's in my 7rb and I replaced the paf pro's in 87dy with breeds. I find the paf pro's to be slightly better in output and a little more responsive to attack. It also depends on the body wood too. Not just the type of wood, but some bodies just have the tone. I had a 7DBK that sounded huge with the breeds. Not so much in my Dy though.

So, how do the paf's sound in your DY? If they sound good, leave them be and invest the money into some equipment. Recently I have acquired 2 jems and 2 universes and always go back to my uv777bk. Actually going to sell all but the the 777bk because it just has everything I want. Lesson I learned is some guitars just sound better no matter what you put in them. Better off investing in some equipment and just eq your tone. But if the aesthetics bother you, get new pu's. I know as jem and uv fans we like are bright colors.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 777vbk also. It has PAF Pros in it and I really like it. That said, it would be nice to have something different in the dy. the only thing I'm potentially worried about is resale value if I change the pickups. I have no plans to get rid of it, but you never know down the road. If I replace the current PAF Pros with new ones, will it have less market value?

Whatever I do, I'm definitely saving the current pickups in case I want/need to put them back in.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I just acquired a 1987 DY also. Mine are faded about the same as yours but it doesn't both me at all (see pics below, I also posted more in the thread about the JEM display case). These stock pickups sound amazing, so I have no interest in changing them. My guitar was in decent condition, but partially "player's condition" with one big nick in the body. However, the trem blocks are heavily faded do to use.

I have a 1989 RG570 that came with the original Edge trem, I'm almost tempted to switch the trems so my JEM will look better. I put Evolution pickups in my RG, great JEM sound also.

BUt, if I were you, I'd leave them as they are if you don't mind the sound.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't mind the sound at all (I quite like it). I already have another Jem with the same pickups though. I was just thinking that IF I were to replace them with something new, I'd like to try a different sound.

One think I've noticed though is that Dimarzio must have changed the plastic they use for humbuckers at some point because the new pink pickups have a slight translucent quality to them while the old ones are more opaque. Not sure I like the "new" pink anyway, so I might end up keeping the current ones. I just can't make up my mind.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's probably what I'll do for now. I still want to get a new cover for the single coil though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just bought a bunch of pink single coil covers on the bay, pretty cheap. Seeing as they usually come in sets of three, you could plonk the replacement in and see how it looks, and if its a bit too bright leave one of the others on a sunny window ledge or something for a couple of months which might zap a lil bit of the color out of it for a while. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
I remember going over the original three JEMs back in the late 80s at GC and other guitar shops in my area.
The Pink they made the old pups out of is very different than the newer ones.
They never were bright Pink.
They always looked pastel to me even back then.
When I see faded ones they turn orange.
If they look original they should look like a flat chalky light Pink.
The new ones that i own are a glossy darker Pink.
The older ones sound different than the newer ones too.
Personally I like the tone of the older ones better.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Honestly those pickups look pretty good considering the condition of the rest of the guitar. I'd leave them in place.

Here's an SK that I sold to Sebastian a while back where the pickups are just very slightly faded. For some reason, this is the best sounding set of PAF Pros I've ever had.

The pickups in my LNG are basically dead mint perfect. You can see that they're just slightly more vibrant than the guitar above.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts