Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the story,

My father (who is a photographer) was telling me about some photos he saw on another photographer's website. He said the model was holding an Ibanez with "one of them ugly handles". (his words). He said it was yellow, with a black pickguard. The first thing I thought of was that it was a JEM777VDY.

Then I saw the first picture:

I noticed there were no pyramid inlays (but there was a vine), and that the Ibanez logo had something like "Antana Custom" written above it.

Then I saw the second picture:

Now I could definitely see that the yellow was MUCH too bold to be a VDY. The bridge is definitely not an Edge Pro, and the control knobs seem to be in a different position. Also, I was pretty sure the pickups are not meant to be a deep red colour. However, the monkey grip and lion's claw look pretty accurate.

There are 5 more pictures, but I decided not to post them as they all basically show the same angle of the guitar.

Any such thing as an Antana Custom... or something with a similar name (I might have read wrong)?

Unless there is a much earlier model JEM I didn't know about (one with an older bridge), I'm pretty sure this is either a fake or a JEM build project by someone else.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

Also, assuming this is a fake JEM sold as real, would the photographer be in any trouble? Because Ibanez has said "It's not only a felony to sell fake Ibanez guitars, it's a felony even to own them." So what would advertising them in website photographs mean for this guy?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Perhaps it's a custom shop which adds their name onto the logo ? it's possible that it's just a normal RG body and then a custom neck / inlay. I like the look of it though! very cool

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
This is definitely no original VDY. Wrong color, wrong color of the pups, the trem could be a low pro edge as the originals were equipped with. Never heard about "Antana Custom". Maybe it's a repainted original with replacement pups or a custom made by just anybody.
(Girls are hot.)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
superfake,

not even a modded RG, since the headstock and butt of the body are wrong. The trem looks nothing like any Edge, current or past.

If they had started with an RGXXDY at least they would've gotten those right, not to mention the old mustard colour, yuk :(

But what's even worse, by the looks of those poses the girl isn't even a player...
The guitar is an instrument, not a prop!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But what's even worse, by the looks of those poses the girl isn't even a player...
The guitar is an instrument, not a prop!
Yeah it was a photographer's site, so she's probably jsut a model.

Thanks for the help guys!

So it seems the guitar is F.A.P.A.B. :D

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
ohhh yes indeed its a fake.that said the first picture (in the snow) i like the look of it,but the second picture the yellow looks real hideous,quick pass me the sick bucket.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Is somebody selling this as original Jem? Its clearly stated on headstock than it's custom look alike jem... relax you protectors ibanez honor:)

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
That is a Chibanez with a different neck. It's the common counterfeit Jem 777DY that they still try to pass off as the real deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts