Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to fill out my guitar collection with a JEM guitar.
The choise is between a used JEM7DBK in great condition or a new JEM7V.
So can you help me choose :)

I dont know much about them so whats the differens between them?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Basically

7VWH
> Alder body
> Evolution pickups
> Tree of life inlay
> Scalloped 21-24 frets
> Oh yeah - Vai uses it

7DBK
> Basswood body
> Breed pickups (not as hot as Evos)
> Cool black finish

I think the neck profiles are slightly different, and a new VWH is much more expensive than a used 7Vwh

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hehe

Oh yeah - Vai uses it ....Hmmm...got to get me one of those :D
Tree of life inlay hmm...that is really beautiful....think I need this one

btw...which one has the thinnest neck ?

And whats the differens between JEM7V, JEM7VH and JEM7VWH...Im not so god at this yet....I have always played on a strat....untill I got a DBK in my hands....:D

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
JEM7V can refer to several different models that began with that designation.

there is no JEM7VH... it'd be the JEM7VWH, which basically designates a JEM that has a vine inlay with a white finish.

the 7DBK has a very wizard-like neck profile. appreciably thinner than the standard JEM profile, and visually similar in construction to a late model RG neck.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I'd get a DBK if it were me. I prefer the weight of the basswood (lighter than alder), the neck profile, and prefer the sound of breeds compared to evo's.:wink:

Remember, choose one on what suits you. Better yet, try one out at your local dealer if they have them.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
i personally like the VWH for its tone and i believe it to be a higher quality Jem IMHO. the DBK is very cool but the Breeds just didn't do it for me. i might eventually get another DBK but put in some Evos.
i like the look of the DBK more - 7VWH is Elvis all the way. i plan to put a piece of tape on my 7VWH and name it Elvis just like Steve with Evo or Flo. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It's up to your personal preference. However, the 7VWH model is a couple of steps above the 7DBK model, with upgrades such as: vine inlay, alder vs. basswood, gold hardware, Evolutions, status as Steve's guitar-of-choice, etc., so the 2 you're looking at should be priced accordingly (i.e., 7DBK should be hundreds cheaper than the 7VWH).

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
VWH is just too much trailer park chique, so DBK for me, but if the choice was between a used DBK and a new VBSL I would go for the VBSL. It's true that the DBK is priced a lot lower than the 7VWH due to the difference in features and add-ons, but those (vine vs phillips, gold vs chrome, evo vs breed, alder vs basswood) don't necessarily mean the VWH is a better playing/sounding Jem. Some of those I wouldn't actually call upgrades (like alder, gold and evo) just apples and oranges...

BTW A new 7VWH has a rosewood fretboard, an older VWH (pre 2003 ?) should come with an ebony board. That I would consider a true plus over the DBK.

...which is why a have a 777DSY not a GMC and a Jem90HAM not a BSB...

evo, ebony, basswood, metal pickguard:

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
eviltwin said:
VWH is just too much trailer park chique, so DBK for me, but if the choice was between a used DBK and a new VBSL I would go for the VBSL. It's true that the DBK is priced a lot lower than the 7VWH due to the difference in features and add-ons, but those (vine vs phillips, gold vs chrome, evo vs breed, alder vs basswood) don't necessarily mean the VWH is a better playing/sounding Jem. Some of those I wouldn't actually call upgrades (like alder, gold and evo) just apples and oranges...

BTW A new 7VWH has a rosewood fretboard, an older VWH (pre 2003 ?) should come with an ebony board. That I would consider a true plus over the DBK.

...which is why a have a 777DSY not a GMC and a Jem90HAM not a BSB...

evo, ebony, basswood, metal pickguard:
I love that shot Evil.....I USED to not like the looks of the 90HAM;)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I've owned both, and now I just have the VWH... the weight of the body never mattered to me... although the DBK was light as a feather, I still prefer the VWH. All around in my opinion, it's a better guitar. It felt more solid, and I love evos. The breeds seemed to struggle a little in comparison to the evos. I love ebony as well. Feels like glass in comparison to rosewood. So much more smooth.

This is also why I couldn't justify buying a DNA.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.