Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at Musician's Friend images of the new JEMs, the JEM7V WH fingerboard appears to be darker than JEM77V BK. Can anyone confirm this? Guitar Center in my area does not have a JEM in either color so it will have to be a special order but I can't decide on the color.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Looking at Musician's Friend images of the new JEMs, the JEM7V WH fingerboard appears to be darker than JEM77V BK. Can anyone confirm this? Guitar Center in my area does not have a JEM in either color so it will have to be a special order but I can't decide on the color.
First of all:
Buying a JEM from guitar center = not a good idea, at least ask them to get you the case too... and expect the setup to be crap.

Second to your question:
It depends. My 7vwh has a rosewood fingerboard, but it is so dark that when some people see me on stage think it is ebony. The other 7vwh I know in person is the one hanging in the local store and it has a much lighter board, much more like the rosewood you'd expect. I am pretty happy with mine as I do not like ebony but the color of mine comes close and goes well with the white.
It could be of course that the same is true for the 77vbk, I only held one once in person and cannot remember the darkness of the wood.
On the other hand it also could be that GC still has pictures of the old 7vwh, as they had ebony boards once and they still use that pics. Of course the ebony boards are much darker.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
There are definitely different shades of rosewood - there's no uniform color there.

the fretboard on my UV is almost black, while I've seen many that are more of a milk-chocolate brown. (mmmmmm...chocolate guitar).

I also think there's something to the theory that GC never changed their pic with the spec change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 77vbk and the fretboard is quite dark compared to my other guitar with a rosewood fretboard.

Also I believe the fretboard appears to be darker on a vwh because of the contrast with the white body.

·
Vendor
26,325 Posts
Every guitar will be different based on what wood is pulled. I have a VWH in stock with a very light board [if you really want one], and others with dark. Most of them will have some streaking of either light or reddish colors. It's fairly rare to see that solid dark chocolate brown slab of rosewood anymore.

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
heres another tip when buying from guitar centre.(example) i was in town looking in a guitar centre.they had a 7vwh brand new it must have been in the store for over 5 years (rosewood neck).the price tag on it was £1699 $3400.i pointed out to the guy that this guitar has been in his store for a long time and that you can buy brand new 7vwh for £1100-£1200 ($2400).he had a bit dabble around on his computer came back and said ok you can have it for £1100.just to prove a point it pays to haggle.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Every guitar will be different based on what wood is pulled. I have a VWH in stock with a very light board [if you really want one], and others with dark. Most of them will have some streaking of either light or reddish colors. It's fairly rare to see that solid dark chocolate brown slab of rosewood anymore.
well then I think I have to thank you even more for my beauty ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback. All good information. I can't decide between a Jem7V-WH and a JEM77V BK. If I got the JEM77V BK, i think I would replace the pickguard with a black one and then replace all the pickups with green Evolution pickups. But the Jem7V-WH sure looks nice.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Like others have said, I think it just depends on the wood used. I've seen rosewood almost look like ebony, but then the Jem7VWH at my local shop has a very light rosewood board.

As far as GC, I wouldn't put too much faith in their pics. This month's mailer (or maybe last month's) has a 7VWH pictured - with a Lo-Pro and ebony board -lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts