Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 7VP and, as the title says, I noticed a couple of very small holes on the surface of the fretboard, around the tree of life inlay. They are circular, and look almost like pinpricks.

They don't affect my playing and I only noticed one when it caught in the light. Is this natural for this kind of fretboard, and should I be bothered about it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might just be tool markings.
If the inlay and the cut out are not perfect they normally fill in the gaps with epoxy or super glue.

Maybe they just forgot a few?
Thanks for the info! Would you say this is any cause for concern, might it cause problems in the future? Or is it just a common characteristics of these fretboards?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks for the info! Would you say this is any cause for concern, might it cause problems in the future? Or is it just a common characteristics of these fretboards?
It's just part of the construction process.

I would say that it's nothing to worry about.

It would take alot of water, abuse or sweat for the board to have any serious issues.

Some older (40-50 years) guitars have inlays that pop out but they can just be glued back in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would not worry. I have scalloped 21-24 on several of these ebony Premium 7VP’s and done one full scalloping 1-24 and the wood AND inlays handled the abuse better than two rosewood PIA’s I’ve recently full scalloped. The fretboard is strong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.