Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, wasup everyone, i just have a little question

i bought an RG1570 a few months back, and this guitar plays better than anything i've played before (not too much, but i've played a couple higher end guitars)

my question is, how can it get any better? i mean, i think i'd be a little dissappointed if i buy a JEM someday and its the exact same as my RG just a little flashier looks

with a pickup change, my RG is great

how do RGs in this range (1570, 2550) compare to guitars like JEM7VWHs or others

i'd love to try a JEM someday, too bad my GC keeps them behind a glass case, but a guitar that nice must deserve it :)

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
There are differences in a Jem that RG series don't have like an Alder body and the neck profile. Besides that, they are more or less the same. Be aware that even the little differences can be a major selling point to someone.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are most JEMs alder? i know the VWH is, but what about some of the others

i think the DBK is basswood off the top of my head

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Oh, I thought you were talking about current models (between the VWH and BRMR anyway). I suggest you try them out (at stores which will let you try them out) to get a better idea between the differences of the two lines.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i definatly need to do that sometime, the only shop around me that has JEMs that i'm aware of seem a little reluctant to let people try them out

i'd love to own a JEM someday though, most of them look incredible

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bob mclaughlin said:
Oh no, not this question again..............
nahhh i'm not trying to start anything

i'm just wondering since JEMs are much more expensive and my RG is a great guitar, im just wondering what some of the differences are

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just my two bits and my JEM story,

I was wondering the same thing a while back. Last year I purchased a 2004 RG2550EXVBB and was happy as can be. I have a 1980 Strat (which I still like) and I thought the 2550 was the greatest. The 2550 plays much better than my Strat, but I began to wonder as well...is it as good as a JEM? Are JEMS worth the extra dollars?

After reading lots of threads regarding pickups, I eventually put some EVOS pups into the 2550 and thought the sound was good. It is a little harsh in the basswood...but I thought I had a "baby" JEM.

Since I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada we don't get many JEMs. I have only seen one JEM in town. It was a JEM77BRMR, I picked it up and gave it a try, I wasn't overly impressed but the neck profile felt much better than my 2550. Over last Christmas I went down to Portland, Oregon for a few days. I went to the local GC, and saw a JEM7VWH. Not having ever seen one, I had to try it. Perhaps it was the vines, color (I prefer the look of the 7VWH over BRMR), better setup...I thought this was much better. After playing for a hour or two and thinking about it as objectively as I could I thought my 2550 was good enough.

Well as we all know, once you get an idea in your head (JEM, JEM, JEM, JEM...). I debated for a month...Are they worth the extra money? Do they sound better? So I broke down an ordered a JEM.

I got home and it was sitting in the hallway. The kids and wife where around so I had to play it cool...you don't want to act like a silly school girl and jump up and down. So I said, "I better open it up right now just in case the guitar is damaged."
Well inside I was smiling like you would not believe. Even the Ibanez cardboard box with the "7VWH" label made me smile. I opened the box, then the "Team J. Craft" case and there it was...

It has been about a month now and I have had a chance to compare the 2550 with the JEM. I have to say that the JEM plays, sounds and looks (I think we can admit looks do count) much much better. Are the extra features worth it? I say yes. The neck feels much better, the slightly wider, thicker neck and string spacing make playing easier. And EVOS sound much smoother in Alder than my 2550. (side note: I recently picked up a Tone Zone for my 2550 for heavier sounds...looking forward to it). One strange thing I have noticed with the JEM vines. If I play my JEM for awhile and then switch to my 2550, I look at the 2550 neck and say "boy the neck sure looks plain, I miss the vines")

Sorry for the long response, but to conclude. Your 1550 is a great guitar. I was satisfied with my 2550, but after I got my JEM. It really is hard to go back to the 2550. If I had to do it again, I would have passed on the 2550, saved more money and just bought a JEM.

PS. This is the only web site I check daily (2 or 3 times a day actually). It has been a great source of information. Thanks to this great community of guitarist for all the insight that you have provided.

TJC

·
Registered
422 Posts
TJC said:
The kids and wife where around so I had to play it cool...you don't want to act like a silly school girl and jump up and down.
HAHAHA sure you can! :)

The one and only thing that made me sell my 550 and buy a VWH is the fatter neck profile. I loved everything about my RG, the color, the maple fretboard, the way the Evo 2 sounds in the bridge of it's basswood body, and the wizard neck was great when I was just starting to play faster stuff. But now that I'm learning Vai-ish type stuff, I can't even do it on the RG. I learned the song Incubus did for the Halo 2 soundtrack, and I seriously could NOT play it on the RG, but when I picked up my Fender Jaguar, I could play it as fast and faster than the actual song, and every bit as clean and accurate too. So I decided the thicker neck was the key to going faster and bought a VWH. I'm just waiting for it to get here. If you can handle the neck, RGs are wonderful guitars, but if not, it's almost pointless to own one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
hi
i think that most of the Rg`s are good guitars. but i now own 3 jems because of the necks. the Rg is too thin for me!! and the pickups so much better but that is an easy problem to solve. but the extra money is worth it. buy a second hand jem and you gonna lovet it

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
There's a few slight neck profile differences, and I mean slight. The RG550 and above have a neck that is just a nice to play as a Jem 7 or 77, the 777's are thicker like the RG505.

Apart from that, there is just the finishes and the DiMarzio pickups and that's it.

I've got 5 Jems and 3 RGs and all are set up well, but I'll say don't buy a Jem thinking it will play better than an RG550 or higher. It won't. It's just looks, honestly, but still, great guitars in thier own right. I love Jems and I love RGs.

·
Registered
189 Posts
TJC said:
I got home and it was sitting in the hallway. The kids and wife where around so I had to play it cool...you don't want to act like a silly school girl and jump up and down. So I said, "I better open it up right now just in case the guitar is damaged."
Well inside I was smiling like you would not believe. Even the Ibanez cardboard box with the "7VWH" label made me smile.
:D :D :D I would of acted like a school girl anyway... wahaha. I like your excuse as well... xD

Yeah, go for the Jem, otherwise you'll always be thinking what ifs. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TJC said:
Well as we all know, once you get an idea in your head (JEM, JEM, JEM, JEM...). I debated for a month...Are they worth the extra money? Do they sound better? So I broke down an ordered a JEM.
thats kinda how i'm feeling now, man i wish i could afford a JEM...maybe in a while

i know i'm gonna break down and buy one someday :)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
The Jem neck is perfect for me. I have large hands and find holding rg necks is a bit ackward to me. As Ant1981 said there is only a slight difference in size between the necks, but that slight difference goes a long way when you are playing the guitar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Uthark said:
You mean Long & McQuade on Granville right after the bridge? They used to have a RG2820CTVV.

Tom Lee sucks IMO.
Actually I was in Portand, Oregon and happened to try the 7VWH at a GC. As you probably know Long & McQuade generally don't carry JEMs and they are always ordred in. I also saw the RG2820TVV and was very tempted, but I just bought my 2550. The 2820 looked great.

As far as Tom Lee, I agree. They seem to have an attitude problem as well as being expensive. I did try the JEM77BRMR in their downtown store. I haven't been there in months, so I don't even know if it is still there.

I ordered my 7VWH through LA Music in Ontario. The nice thing is that you save on the PST (provincial sales tax) and free shipping. The price just dropped by about $200 CDN so I made the purchase. As I finalizing the order with the salesman he said that the their Ibanez rep that day was bringing in a Black Onyx J-Custom RG8270. I almost changed my order right there.

The interesting thing is that in the J-Custom forum some guys were talking about it...hmmm...not enought money.

As far as the RG vs JEM thing, I think Ant1981 and Red5 made great points about the JEM neck. I also find it more comfortable than my 2550. I find my wrist doesn't get quite as fatigued. Taken individually the differences between an JEM and RG can be very small and subjective. Either way, the RG/JEM line of guitars are great. Whatever one thrills, inspires and just makes you want to play...thats the better guitar.

·
Registered
858 Posts
TJC said:
The neck feels much better, the slightly wider, thicker neck and string spacing make playing easier.
TJC
I understand the Jem has a thicker neck than an RG by 1mm but I'm not so sure about the string spacing? Exactly what is the distance string to string at the nut and last fret? They have the same nut size but the Jem is 2mm narrower at the last fret. Yet they both have Edge Pro bridges. Are there different versions of the Edge Pro with narrower dimensions for the Jem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
gu1tar said:
I understand the Jem has a thicker neck than an RG by 1mm but I'm not so sure about the string spacing? Exactly what is the distance string to string at the nut and last fret? They have the same nut size but the Jem is 2mm narrower at the last fret. Yet they both have Edge Pro bridges. Are there different versions of the Edge Pro with narrower dimensions for the Jem?
You are dead right about the numbers. It is hard to explain why this is, but the JEM "feels" like there is a larger spacing between the strings. Perhaps its the neck profile, but for me a JEM is easier to play. I have both guitars setup more or less identical, but the JEM just doesn't feel as rigid. Things are just a little smoother on the JEM. I don't know how else to describe it. Its like trying to explain why you like a certain color. Yikes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts