Ibanez JEM Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
What's the difference between an Edge-Zero II and the same trem with the ZPS system? It seems to be some sort of device for tuning stability but does that make the trem feel or act any differently?

If I didn't like the ZPS system, can I easily remove it and just use conventional springs?
I thought the Edge Zero II w/ZPS was a really good setup, but it took a while to get used to it. I really liked the additional stability on bends, but it made it feel stiffer when using for subtle tremolo... Which is my main use for a floating bridge. In my opinion it has it's good a bad points and it really depends on how you use the trem on a regular basis. Best to try one out if possible to see how you get along with it.

On another note... The Jiva10 is one of the few new models that really catches my eye! I've been eyeing the factory seconds on Rich's website for a couple of weeks now. I love the finish and all, especially the "Beaten Path" fret markers. Not a fan of the bridge pickup sound at all. Hard to justify the price... but I still want one! Wish I could special order an unfinished Jiva neck and build a guitar around it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The RGT42 probably had the Edge3 which has very soft knife edges and terrible bushing system.
Both the RGT42's that I owned came with the EdgePro II which was very similar to Edge Pro, but did not have the stainless inserts in the saddles. The first one got upgraded to an Edge LoPro(with very minor routing mod) and the second(which I still own) got an Edge Pro, which dropped in without any mods(also upgraded to locking posts). I was never a fan of the II and III variants of the Edge, but the RGT42-DR(or any version with a translucent finish) is actually a very nice guitar and fairs very well as compared to the RG3120 Prestige models of that era(I owned several of those too). The RGT42 does have a fairly unique neck profile(a lot chunkier than Wizard or Ultra). I also find it interesting that the RGT42 is(I believe) the only Korean-made RG that has the small rear cover for the jack, as did all the Japanese models from that time period(makes me wonder if the woodwork was done in Japan and then sent to Korea for finish and assembly). The Jiva10 is a beauty!

·
Vendor
26,482 Posts
Both the RGT42's that I owned came with the EdgePro II which was very similar to Edge Pro, but did not have the stainless inserts in the saddles. The first one got upgraded to an Edge LoPro(with very minor routing mod) and the second(which I still own) got an Edge Pro, which dropped in without any mods(also upgraded to locking posts). I was never a fan of the II and III variants of the Edge, but the RGT42-DR(or any version with a translucent finish) is actually a very nice guitar and fairs very well as compared to the RG3120 Prestige models of that era(I owned several of those too). The RGT42 does have a fairly unique neck profile(a lot chunkier than Wizard or Ultra). I also find it interesting that the RGT42 is(I believe) the only Korean-made RG that has the small rear cover for the jack, as did all the Japanese models from that time period(makes me wonder if the woodwork was done in Japan and then sent to Korea for finish and assembly). The Jiva10 is a beauty!
Yea, the EP2 had the same soft knife edge plate as the Edge3. And also used the same bar and bushing system. It was just as bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So far I really like the look of an 'S' series but I've hit the minor problem that Ibanez don't seem to sell their full range around the world. When I first looked at the range, I didn't realise I was on the American site and the S670QM and especially the S1070 really stood out as being of interest. Unfortunately, neither of those models appear on the European website, where the 'S' series goes from the 520 to the Axion and then straight to the Prestige, none of which are of any interest to me. I seem to be in a situation where I'm really interested in the S1070 especially but I'll probably end up buying a Jackson or a Charvel instead as the Ibanez I want isn't available.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Another quick update!

I have now tried an 'S' series guitar and I really liked it. The slim body was very comfortable and I didn't find its slim dimensions off-putting at all. The neck was a Wizard III on the model I tried and I expected it to feel too thin but it was actually very comfortable. It didn't feel a million miles away from the PRS Wide Thin that I'm used to. The situation with Ibanez is now even more frustrating as the S1070 would now almost certainly be my first choice but the Premium isn't sold in Europe and the shop here in Kuala Lumpur told me that it's not available in Malaysia either. This is insanity from Ibanez as I am now prepared to spend a significant sum on an Ibanez guitar that they definitely make but they aren't making available in either the European or South East Asian markets.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hm, you still wouldn't consider an older Japanese S? As already mentioned in the thread, you can find them $600-1000 used. While they're generally not as fancy the likes of that 1070 and ones prior to 1992/93 have a square heel (if you mind that), they come with an Edge or Lo Pro (1991 on), Ibanez/DiMarzio pickups, original Wizard neck, generally HSH or HSS config. As you're in south-east Asia, you could probably buy them direct from Japan without getting killed on shipping (I assume!). The 540 would be the one that might float your boat.

It's typical that some guitars are available only in the US, EU and so on. Sometimes dealers even collaborate with the company and produce special runs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have bought used guitars before but it's difficult as I tend to be very picky about their condition. I certainly wouldn't just have one shipped from Japan without seeing it and trying it myself. The other problem with older ones is that they tend to have thicker neck joints and I'd prefer to have it as slim as possible. The 'S' I tried today, which was only a Standard, was fine, but I wouldn't want anything much thicker.

I have found one dealer in the UK that has a supply of S1070 guitars coming in but they appear to be charging a premium for them of about £200 over the RRP. Fortunately, I can bide my time. I'm in no rush to buy so if a great deal on something comes up I can act and if it doesn't, it's no issue for me to wait.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Totally understandable. Moreover, sometimes sellers themselves probably don't know about all the issues, you find out when you get it and strip it down to clean it and set it up to taste (ask me how I know...).

Regarding the prices of some Premiums, yeah, some of them are more than Japanese guitars. That HSS RG with EMGs new for this year is 2k! And Ibanez now has the 'J-Line', which is meant to be like an entry MIJ range around (1k).

·
Vendor
26,482 Posts
The situation with Ibanez is now even more frustrating as the S1070 would now almost certainly be my first choice but the Premium isn't sold in Europe and the shop here in Kuala Lumpur told me that it's not available in Malaysia either. This is insanity from Ibanez as I am now prepared to spend a significant sum on an Ibanez guitar that they definitely make but they aren't making available in either the European or South East Asian markets.
Every distributor can buy whatever they want from the world catalog as long as they make the minimum order for the model. Ibanez doesn't not sell anything to any market. Your market decided not to buy any.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I have written to the European distributor about this twice but so far they have decided to ignore me. I am impressed with the Ibanez guitar, but so far, considerably less impressed with Ibanez customer service. I can't find any way of contacting Ibanez directly.

·
Vendor
26,482 Posts
A distributor has maybe 10 CS employees, they're there MOSTLY for dealers, questions, orders, availability, etc. 10 CS reps in the US to take care of how many emails they could get a day from every possible person in the US that has an Ibanez question? I'm surprised when they reply to any of them, but they do to some. Most just get deleted. Some random guy writes and asks why don't you import RGXYZ, I'd buy one if you did, is going to find the delete button as fast as 3 more emails come in and he's still on the phone with another dealer while doing it all. If you're writing them to ask them to import them stop wasting both of your time. Buy one from where they are available.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Understandable, yet I can always get an answer from Jackson, Charvel, Fender and PRS so clearly customer service is possible, it's just that Ibanez choose not to bother. It wouldn't put me off buying an Ibanez, but it equally wouldn't encourage me to go out of my way to find one. When I left the shop my mindset was that I wanted one but as I can't get any help from Ibanez at all, I'm now of the view that if one comes up, I'll get one and if it doesn't, I'll get a Charvel or a Jackson.

·
Vendor
26,482 Posts
Any customer can call HUSA during business hours and get whatever service you need [within reason] or questions answered. Email is different. They don't have the resources to handle the volume and keep up with the rest of their responsibilities.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts