Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just upgraded my Mark IV with a re-tube set from JJ Electronic. Picked up the high-gain option with E43L's on the outside and 6L6's on the inside. Let me tell you, they rock. Huge difference between the stock Mesa tubes. The most noticeable is the clean channel - had to pull the Bright switch to get some glassy clean back.

On the distortion front - massive difference in clarity and a boost in gain - both Rhythm and Lead channels - depending on the guitar - my 540S sounded incredible on Pentode / Simu-Class. My PBK sounded almost the same though - those Evo pickups need a boost from a pedal to really get moving.

All in all - a great inexpensive purchase. Highly recommend them.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I tried JJ's in my Dual Rec and I was pretty dissapointed tbh. The 12AX7s made it a weeny it more fluid but it totally changed the feel of the amp. Although it gave me wha I wished I had it took away what I already liked... Shame really. They were a big improvment in my old 6505+ though (now both amps sold).

I also tried JJ's in my SVT and my god did that make a difference. Totally converted, I don't know what the old tubes were, but who cares, JJ all the way!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations greendisc. I use JJ's and Rubys in my 5150 and they sound awesome, and everyone says it has "that petrucci tone" in Mark amps (which is what I have) but I haven't got around to getting some yet. I always use russian tubes (Mesa, EH, Sovtek) for the sparkle and gain.

BTW, if anyone has a Mesa Mark; stay away from TAD 12AX7C's (the cryo version, they are chinese Sino tubes) - they are medium gain and made my Mark sound more loose and less modern. Highly dissapointing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have JJ E34L's in my Mesa Nomad and they are fantastic. Much tighter sound than the stock 6L6's. Plus, I like the EL34 tone better than 6L6s anyway. And the dude at Eurotubes is pretty cool as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, Bob is cool - knows a lot. I did fine the amp to sound much tighter than before. Playing through my S series is really fun now - the bridge pickup shines with those tubes. I'm going to try playing my EB JP Dargie Delight II tonight through it and see - I've had the tubes for a week or so now and I haven't even plugged that guitar in because the S sounds so good! Crazy. The E34L's on Triode mode sounds really tight. Next I'll throw the Palmer in the mix and get some sound samples through Cubase.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way Fun - my amp had 12AX7's originally - the new re-tube kit has ECC833's - big difference.

I went with the high-gain option - split 6L6's / E34L's.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The 3 different tubes JJ offers in the 12Ax7 type are the regular ECC83, the gold pin for higher conductivity and lower microphonics and the Tesla made 803-S for high gain. Tubestore.com stated however that they were not however made by Tesla but were just relabeled JJ's 803-S. Personally I've been wanting to try the Sovtek LPS since my Mesa loves the WB in V1 for killer gain.

Greendisc, did you get the red labeled ECC83s or the 803-S's?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Also, I read on Eurotube that the 803-S (the JJ/Tesla version, stated as "high gain/high performance on some sites) was not in fact a high gain tube. Since I have not used this tube, I can't confirm or deny this. Just throwing this nugget of rumor out there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This relates to my thread about the Mullard re-issues, but I switched out all of the tubes in my peavey Classic 30 (the EL84's were JJ's) with the re-issues, 4 EL84's and Two 12AX7's (Idon't use the drive channel) and ran it through it's paces at band practice tonight. they friggin blow the JJ's away. Clean they hav an amazing crystal sound and when I use a touch of the OD pedal, they are smooth and tight. I'm telling you, they have a great sound, amazing.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Only amp I've ever had JJ's work well in is my Marshall DSL401, and I think that's only because I have JJ's in both the preamp and power amp sections.

I became a fan of Ruby Tubes after they came with my Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MK II and my first Trilogy, then H & K switched to TAD, which came in my second Trilogy and my Switchblade.

As far as preamp tubes go, I find I'm getting the best tone out of either the Mullard reissues or the GT 12AX7-M. They're not the highest-gain tubes out there, but the tone is amazing.

Cheers,

Race

·
Registered
23 Posts
From my experience, JJ preamp tubes (12AX7) need some breaking in time before they sound right. Give them at least 12 hours and they'll be very close to their definitive sound (apparently the process takes 40-50 hours to complete). Also keep in mind that there might be slight variations within the same brand and noticeable variations between brands.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Just swapped in a red labeled JJ 12ax7 in my lead position (v3) of my Mark III, and am definitely impressed! It was already broke in (pulled from a Peavey I had laying around), and had great gain and harmonics. Definitely sat well between the Mesa 7025s and the Sovtek WB in V4. Very sweet sounding, and sings nicely and great for my prog metal style.

I'm a believer now! Thanks for the recommendations. Now all i need to do is get rid of these Ruby 6L6s and get some quality EH's in there for some extra tight bottom end!

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I have read everywhere JJ are not the way to go... Sovtek is where its at or any russian tubes from the early 20th century :p but im sure your JJ's will be fine..

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The Sovtek is normally my lead tube sound, but the JJ is definitely a good tube too.

Now I wanna try the Tung-Sols all the TriAxis guys rant and rave about. Especially since it's another short plate halo-getter from the New Sensor plant. My one complaint about the JJ is that it is very dark on the clean channel, and takes all the sparkle and chime away, something the Mesa is know for. +1 for bass and mids though, something the Sino tubes lacked though!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts