Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting find on polish auction site (or "buy now" rather), claiming to have #1 prototype for JS model. No idea if legit, this store has all kind of "rare / prototype / LACS" stuff to sell. Not even interested to buy, but I thought you may find it interesting.

Ibanez JS Satriani LACS Proto 1 Gitara Elektryczna (7251972108) - Allegro.pl - Wi?cej ni? aukcje.

Lots of photos at the bottom of the auction.

Other Ibanez guitars they have: https://allegro.pl/uzytkownik/guitar-max/elektryczne-ibanez-122686?order=m

Attachments

·
Vendor
26,431 Posts
What does that translate to? Never see a price that was 49 000,00, I'm sure I could figure out what zr is.

But that's a joke at nearly 4 times the JPM90, I'd take the 90th instead.

That's out of the same batch of JS6 prototypes as mine. Since it has no real serial number, I would assume it is the first JS LACS built, but they built LOTS of JS's in Bensalem for several years before that guitar was made, so it is in no way #1 JS Proto, which would be Blackdog anyway. Blackdog was the first JS and it was a reworked Radius body.

·
Vendor
26,431 Posts
It's almost 4 times a JP90 so yea, either the 90 is a steal or it's way too high.

And I assumed Lipe was screwing around with serial numbers, these were test guitars never meant to go any further than a sound test with Joe, they may have never had a setial number until Joe returned them, and then Lipe stamped them before [what I believe] he sold them off privately.

Mine

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
It's almost 4 times a JP90 so yea, either the 90 is a steal or it's way too high.

And I assumed Lipe was screwing around with serial numbers, these were test guitars never meant to go any further than a sound test with Joe, they may have never had a setial number until Joe returned them, and then Lipe stamped them before [what I believe] he sold them off privately.

Mine

Is yours a hardtail or also with a tremolo?

·
Vendor
26,431 Posts
Oddly enough this batch of JS6 proto's were all Lo Pro. The only differences were the body wood to test wood tone, of which mahogany won.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's around 14k USD. All the stuff they have is generally overpriced.

The text part of the listings, apart from specs, roughly says:
"Built for one of the best guitar players in the world - Joe Satriani, by legendary luthier of Ibanez LACS - Mike Lipe (who built other guitars for Satriani and other famous players). This guitar belonged to famous on the West Coast musician Craig Tarwater, who was Mike Lipe's friend. Tarwater gave this guitar to the father of the person we bought it from.

It's very rare, one of a kind, amazing guitar. Considering the price of JS3 and JS5 prototypes (also build in LACS, neck built by Mike Lipe), who were sold for 10-12.5k USD - this is a great investment and would be a perfect addition to a collection, especially for LACS fans."

·
Vendor
26,431 Posts
Yea, I'd say.

Ok so just trying to spin a tale because everybody [should] knows that JS3 proto was Bensalem and before the LACS even opened, although, I'm betting he's talking about the proto bodied JS3 I sold out of the Koch collection for 10 and the JS5 proto at 12.5. 14 for a guitar that has nothing more going for it than it was a [very bland] proto is coo coo for coco puffs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Comparing Rich's headstock logo and engraved lettering to the one for sale doesn't add up.

You guys are the super experts here but to my uneducated eye, it looks like a fake.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Very cool guitar, but the price is past the point where even adjectives like "eye-watering" make sense. :lol:

Chrome's translate feature says that has a "lime" body wood, which clearly ins't the case. Rich, is my memory correct, that yours is alder? This one sort of looks like it. An alder JS with jumbo frets would be right up my ally, but more at the $2k range than at, ahem, seven times that. :lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very cool guitar, but the price is past the point where even adjectives like "eye-watering" make sense. :lol:

Chrome's translate feature says that has a "lime" body wood, which clearly ins't the case. Rich, is my memory correct, that yours is alder? This one sort of looks like it. An alder JS with jumbo frets would be right up my ally, but more at the $2k range than at, ahem, seven times that. :lol:
It says basswood in Polish. Doesn't have to be right, though.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Looks like alder to me. Look how bad that neck joint route is. Ouch. Does not look like a guitar that was meant to be seriously played. As Rich said earlier, looks like a fairly rough test mule to me.

That said, it doesn't make it not worth anything.

·
Vendor
26,431 Posts
Joe said "they were all sh!t", but I'm thinking they were built that way because they were test mules and were never meant to be better, and Joe was expecting finished guitars.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts