Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if/why the JS 100 it's better guitar than the RG 370 DX? The 370 it's cheaper ;)

I've just bought a JS 100, should I regret it and buy me 370?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The body is shaped differently and it has 22 frets. Other than that, I believe it has the Edge Pro II bridge and the 370DX has the Edge III bridge (which IMO is around the same quality as the EPII but is swappable for an OFR). The main thing you're paying more for is the name on the guitar. I would've gone with a 370DX personally (which I did because I own one) because it has 24 frets (which I love), sharktooth inlays (which look really good along with the white decals I put on the body), and the price I got it for.

·
Registered
656 Posts
24-frets has it's pros and cons though. By sacrificing the last two frets you can have your neck pickup in an optimum position just under a natural harmonic spot in the strings which tend to give you a better tone. Of course, you lose the last two frets :D

I personally like 22 more, because I don't really have an use for 24 anyway and the pickup thingy too, but maybe if I had them i'd use...dunno, hehe.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I use the think the same thing about 24 frets before I actually got a guitar with 24 frets. I never thought I'd use them because I learned on a 22 fret guitar but you'd be surprised. I really like it because you have two octaves of notes on each string so you can do a lot of octave jumping in solos.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Viper-sfm said:
You can still do that with a 22-fretted guitar, it's not a big deal ;)
I dunno about that. A lot of the solos that I've written for my band have found me using the 23rd and 24th fret (or maybe more like half the solos). I just think that if you have them and you like to move up and down the fretboard then you'll find a use for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts