Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's another weird material finish I recently finished. The one is built around a JS600 body (fixed bridge, basswood -- thanks, Dean!) and a Roadstar maple board neck. Pickups are a Fred in the bridge with a Duncan 59 in the neck. Bridge is a Gotoh -- same as on the JS6/6000.

Now I'll admit that the last material finish I did was pretty ugly by design, but I'm pretty fond of this one. It's probably the last one of these I'll do as I'm always surprised at how much time it takes to get the material to lay properly, clear coat, setup, adjust... etc.

Anyway, here it is:

·
Registered
639 Posts
That looks great..

How much clear did you end up using?? Also did you use the rattlecans or do you have some spray equipment??

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks great..

How much clear did you end up using?? Also did you use the rattlecans or do you have some spray equipment??
Thanks, guys!

I used regular rattlecans. It took about 6-7 for this project, but I only use 1/2 to 2/3 of each can because you start to lose pressure and get "spitting" if you try to use the whole thing.

Part of the reason I got into doing these material finishes awhile back is because I don't really have a good setup for spraying. After some experimentation, I've found I do best with semi-gloss polyurethane. I follow the procedure described at the ReRanch site, with some additional tips found at Project Guitar. Nothing elegant about it, but I've been happy enough with the results.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of straplock in on your strap?

Jimmy:smile:
That's funny that you'd notice that! It's some goofy system that I got with a Dillion guitar a few years ago (BTW -- don't ever buy one of those). I ran out of strap buttons so I threw that thing on there. Seems to work OK.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fabric or paper?
what did you glue it with? and what did you seal the fabric with?
It's fabric -- a nylon cotton blend, I think.

I usually sand to bare wood and use TiteBond, but I tried something different for this one. I don't like sanding whatever that Fullerplast-like stuff is that Ibanez uses to seal the wood under the primer as it's supposedly very toxic to breathe. So I sanded off all the paint but left the plastic like sealer and then used a high quality contact cement to bond the fabric. Used two main pieces, front and rear, plus assorted micro-repairs with Super Glue. Then multiple coats of sanding sealer before clear coating. I did quite a bit of testing with the contact cement and sealer to be sure that I had compatible products.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts