Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Here's a guitar I recently finishing putting together. It's a JS600 body (the lowly brethren of the JS6) with a 1984 Ibanez Lukather neck on it. Got the neck for $40 in an auction. The Lukather model (RS1010SL) was only made in 83-84, with the 84's having 22-fret necks. By all accounts, Lukather's relationship with Ibanez didn't go well, but this is a pretty wonderful neck. It has an ebony board (not common on Ibys) and I love the inlays. It feels very strat like and has a nice vintage tint. The original Roadstar-style headstock was stripped and reshaped to the current style.

I picked up the body in an auction for $125, and it was in great shape. I did have to do a little fine tuning of the heel route to get the neck to fit properly. I had the IBZ F4 and F2 pickups lying around from some other project, along with the tuners and most other hardware. I did replace the original bridge with the Gotoh hardtail ($45) that comes on the JS6. The total cost for the project was about $210.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this guitar, but I'm really loving it. I had no idea what this weird combination would turn out like, but somehow the ebony board, IBZ pickups and basswood body produced some serious mojo. Moral of the story is that you can do a lot with little cash if you're patient and choose the components carefully.

Here's the pics:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have an RS400 which has an arched top body shape like to the Lukather (minus the maple top). It almost seems like Ibanez tweaked it to later become the JS shape. Great guitar, I love that thing.

How did you re-shape that headstock?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad you guys like it -- simple but sweet, eh?

How did you re-shape that headstock?
Awhile back I made a routing template out of MDF material to do this to another Roadstar headstock. The reshape isn't exact, but it fools the eye unless you have the two side-by-side (modern vs my mod).

·
Registered
7 Posts
That looks really cool and matches up well by the looks of it. Nice guitar. The only thing i'm not totally keen on are the inlays, but then again it's not my guitar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts