Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 1000BP back when the '2002 model blow-out was happening on that friendly musician site, and the first one that was delivered had a pretty nasty dead spot on the 11th fret. After a lot of wrangling on the phone with MF, they agreed to exchange it for another one (but *I* paid for shipping back, grrrrr). The next one was much better, but there was a very very slight irregularity on the 14th fret this time. Frustrated by the hassle, and not wanting to exchange guitars yet again (it seemed like a crap shoot), I dealt with it myself. In the end it didn't bug me much, because I've been playing the VSBL more anyway...

...but I've been picking the JS more lately, and that 14th fret is annoying me. Should I try just replacing the single fret? Or filing? Or a complete refret? What about stainless steel frets, I'm very curious about those...

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I LOVE stainless, but my motto is, "do as little as you have to". I'd try filing a little, IF it bothers you that much. The smart bet if it's bad is to have it levelled & crowned or PLEKD (if you have access to one). Replacing frets exposes you to more possible hassles.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have found that most imported guitars (including the good Ibanez's) have high frets. Even American made stuff that is assembly line (i.e. Fender) will have them. On my JS1200, every single fret is raised in the center... the edges are fine. This is bad for tone and can cause fretout on a neck like a JS with a 10" radius.

The only option is to take it to a luthier and have the frets glued down, or replaced and then leveled.

It sucks, but nearly ALL new Ibanezes regardless of price will show the telltale shadowing underneath the frets in the center. If you carefully press on them with a plastic or rubber mallet you can see them springing up and down. This has been true at least for my last 5 purchases and the dozen or more that I've played/inspected at my local GC in the last year (I didn't get to test those with the mallet :D ). Some are worse than others.

Ryan

·
Registered
717 Posts
It would seem that Ibanez quality control has taken a nose dive, poorly fitted frets, neck joint cracks galore, paint chips near pickup cavities, the list goes on, and I for one am getting really p1ssed off with Ibanez, dont know what they are playing at, the number of guitars that Ive had to take back and keep swapping until I found one thats as perfect as my mis 1980's 540 radius guitars... makes me sick.

·
Vendor
26,693 Posts
Quality control has never been better. Most of the current problems are caused by the J Craft case. As for the frets they're slightly overradiused to keep the ends set. They are set, you can't push down on the center. If it has such a negaqtive affect on tone nobody notices because everybody that plays one only talks about how great the tone is.

If you have a dead spot it needs a level, simple as that.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rich said:
If you have a dead spot it needs a level, simple as that.
Fair enough, that's what I'll do. But given that this is the second brand-new JS in a row with the issue, I'm not exactly going to write home about the quality control, never-been-better or not. Disappointing for a neck that's supposed to have Prestige status.

All other Ibanii I've spent any time with, which are Jems, prestige RGs, and Korean RGs, were fine.

·
Vendor
26,693 Posts
Depending on how low your action is set, it's still a 240mm radius fret instead of the 430 radius of the rest you mention. Which makes it particularly vulnerable to slight misgivings in the fretwork. Which is of course the reason I level every guitar I sell, 240 or 430. Your problem is you're obviously buying from the wrong place ;)

The Prestige status is in how the fretboard edges and fret ends are finished, period.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Rich said:
Quality control has never been better. Most of the current problems are caused by the J Craft case.
Hi Rich,
I dont see how chips to the pickup cavities - caused be careless pickup installation, or trems that arnt centrerd in the routed cavity, filler missing from the end of fret slots and faulty volume pots have anything to do with the J craft cases; neck joint cracks 'maybe' - although much less common on the AANJs. I've seen this on many JS, Jem and RG prestige guitars over the past 12 months.

If this carried on Ibanez are really going to get a bad name which is a shame as their guitars can be fantastic (as we all know).

·
Vendor
26,693 Posts
chrisstevenson said:
Hi Rich,
I dont see how chips to the pickup cavities - caused be careless pickup installation, or trems that arnt centrerd in the routed cavity, filler missing from the end of fret slots and faulty volume pots have anything to do with the J craft cases; neck joint cracks 'maybe' - although much less common on the AANJs. I've seen this on many JS, Jem and RG prestige guitars over the past 12 months.
Please enlighten us. How many chips have you seen in pickup cavities?? Were they on Japanese guitars?

Trems have never been "perfectly" centered and it's doubtful they ever will be. Did it being off a hair cause that particular guitar any problems?

Fret end filler is a nice touch that they never used to do, although, it's SUPPOSED to fall out. The neck has to shrink, it is wood.

There isn't a guitar manufacturer in the world that makes their own volume pots. Keep supplier issues in context please.

So what exactly is it you've seen on MANY JS and JEMS in the last year? Be specific.

ric232 said:
Rich, do you mean problems caused during shipment? Or is this a bad case just to store your guitar in?
The case is the only common denominator to the number of NJFC's, and not just JS's, I just sent a BRMR back. This is the way I figure the problem. Every case in the past offered at least some support over the body. The controls pushed into the tops and offered resistence, the trem made good contact, all of which helped stop forward movement of the body. The new J Craft case has absolutely no contact with the top of the guitar at all. There is a cutout the trem and controls sit in, just like the EBMM cases, and look at the NJFC problem the EBMM JPM's have. Uncannily similar situation.

Without any support on the body if the case gets slammed down, or falls, drops, etc on it's face, the body momentum keeps it moving forward. With no contact with the case top there is nothing to resist this movement. The neck is held firmly in place in these cases, which means the neck pocket where the neck is attached is also held firmly. Body moves, neck doesn't, crack. I've started rolling up white styro bags and placing them on top of the body on either side of the neck pickup and behind the trem to make good contact with the top, and bubble wrap the cases of course, all to try and cut down on the cracks.

·
Vendor
26,693 Posts
Not quite as scary as what EBMM did. Deduced that it was the nice form fit that was the problem and "loosened" it up almost 1/2" in all directions. Now they have no support on the top, AND the guitar can bounce around an inch in all directions!

·
Registered
197 Posts
a little off topic........but the last three 1570L i bought from american musical....prestige models..all had neck problems......the last one i bought was pretty bad......it appeared to me it need some more wood shaved away from the neck pocket to get it right.as i recall i shimmed the neck to get it to play pretty good....but it took to many shims.....thats why i came to the conclusion it need some wood shaved away to properly fix it

·
Registered
717 Posts
Rich said:
Please enlighten us. How many chips have you seen in pickup cavities?? Were they on Japanese guitars?

Trems have never been "perfectly" centered and it's doubtful they ever will be. Did it being off a hair cause that particular guitar any problems?

So what exactly is it you've seen on MANY JS and JEMS in the last year? Be specific.
Hi,
Chips have been on a recent single batch of 6x RG1527s and about 3x RG1570s over the past year or so, (all prestige), the trems not being centred were worse on the RG models and a few S470DX's, but especially the RG1527, and I'm not talking about a 'hairs width', more like 1mm, just enough to catch your eye everytime you looked at it! The Jems were better, just one off centre trem but frets not installed flush has been more common, some at an odd angle so there was a gap at the top edge of the fret. JS's with the trem not parallel to the routed cavity at its front edge, so you end up with a taper against the HM surround - and of course the good old neck cavity cracks, but yes I agree that these cases must be causing that, some say that the neck bolts are too tight but I'd hope they were installed with some sort of torque control. Faulty volume pots (even if not made by Ibanez) should be detected at the QC stage, not in the cusotmers hands at day 1 of ownership!!!
Anyway, dont get me wrong, I love Ibanez guitars and have played and bought many over the past 15 years.
Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have played many guitars and found myself always coming back to the JS guitars. I have a JS1 and feel it is the most powerful guitar I have played. It seems to play itself. If I hit a bad note the guitar responds by covering it up with some halenesque sound. Yes--sounds like BS--I know. It is my honest to God opinion. I love it. Js1000--very very close and equally responsive. Heck- my girlfriend quit calling me poser when I started playing The Joes--now she calls me to bed!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Regarding the greater "quality control" issue, Rich's comments have left me curious.

The average consumer probably equates "Prestige" with "Perfect", Ibanez isn't discouraging that. Is the best we can expect a "YMMV" with each guitar purchase? Is Ibanez more, less, or as fair as other companies in this regard? My gut tells me "as fair, unfortunately".

·
Vendor
26,693 Posts
chrisstevenson said:
Hi,
Chips have been on a recent single batch of 6x RG1527s and about 3x RG1570s over the past year or so, (all prestige), the trems not being centred were worse on the RG models and a few S470DX's, but especially the RG1527, and I'm not talking about a 'hairs width', more like 1mm, just enough to catch your eye everytime you looked at it! The Jems were better, just one off centre trem but frets not installed flush has been more common, some at an odd angle so there was a gap at the top edge of the fret. JS's with the trem not parallel to the routed cavity at its front edge, so you end up with a taper against the HM surround - and of course the good old neck cavity cracks, but yes I agree that these cases must be causing that, some say that the neck bolts are too tight but I'd hope they were installed with some sort of torque control. Faulty volume pots (even if not made by Ibanez) should be detected at the QC stage, not in the cusotmers hands at day 1 of ownership!!!
Anyway, dont get me wrong, I love Ibanez guitars and have played and bought many over the past 15 years.
Chris
Either this is complete rubbish or you work for the importer and see 10 times more guitars than I do. And only if you worked for the importer and saw these guitars straight from Japan could you even coment or where a dhip came from, because there could only be one place. If you don't work for the importer then you're blaming the factory for things that could have happened long after they left Japan.

Again, trems have never been perfectly centered, you did not comment on how it effected the particular guitar.

I've never seen a new Jem with unset frets on one side [since JEM10's whose frets are unset on both sides], and you've seen multiples? As you've seen multiple JS's with their trems at an angle?! I find this VERY difficult to believe.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
i know that you all are talking about new prestige model guitars but i played an rg321 that had a horrendious fret job . The frets had like tarnish build up , and the 6th and 7th frets were very very high . I was dissapointed to say the least . I know it is just a lower model import but for the retailer to even put it out in that shape was horrible.

I have only played a few of the newer prestige models and have to say that i didn't notice anything wrong in the way of neck problems on the models i played . I am sure that there are going to be problems now and then after all a guitar is only wood and some metal .

And every company has thier problems with these issues. I know that gibson has gotten extermly bad about thier frets and fret work . I have heard quite a few people complain about the higher frets not being seated right and having dead spots. I dont particularly like the fret wire that they are using either doesn't seem as good quality as it could be .

Stainless or nickel are the two ways to take if you want a nice playing guitar. The js line i belive has stainless 6105 frets , which when done and properly setup sound great and both stainless and nickel have much longer then average fret life.

So like rich said maybe your buying from the wrong place or need to invest in a good guitar tech

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.