Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, great website you got here, I've been reading for a long time but never really decided to post anything until now.

For the last few months I've been having the dilemma between a JS1200 and a JEM7WH. I'm mainly a shredder, but I love to rock the blues sometimes. I'm a big fan of the vintage Fender feel too, so......What do you guys think is better for me?

P.S: I've tried both and like them both equally.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Sounds like the JS is a better fit for you, but only you can decide which you want. They are very different guitars -- both great but different -- apples/oranges.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Yeah I'd go for the JS if you're into strats, the body is sexier I think. And comfier. I think the fretboard radius is different too - did you notice a difference when trying them out?

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
If you're a fan of the vintage Fender feel, I'd definitely go for the JS. The neck and fretboard alone will let you get as close as possible to a strat without any major modifications.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been hearing about this high pass/coil tap, thing. If I understand it right, that means that my sound will remain consistant even if I turn down the volume knob, can somebody please elaborate on the concept so I can further understand it?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
yeah, usually when you turn the volume down on the guitar it cleans up (less gain) and also becomes warmer.

With this high pass filter it will allow more treble through so your sound doesn't get very warm when you turn it down.

the coil tap basically turns your humbuckers into single coils.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Sooner or later you will simply buy both...

Best guitars to have (and available new): 7VWH + JS1200 + something in the middle

·
Registered
696 Posts
Dont forget the nut width is different on the 2 necks, 42mm on the JS and 43mm on the Jem, might not seem like a lot, but for me, it makes the string spacing feel MILES wider on the Jem, so I prefer the Jem neck for playing anything that I need to sound clean (i.e. not sloppy).

·
Registered
953 Posts
yeah, usually when you turn the volume down on the guitar it cleans up (less gain) and also becomes warmer.

With this high pass filter it will allow more treble through so your sound doesn't get very warm when you turn it down.

the coil tap basically turns your humbuckers into single coils.
Don't forget the JS1200 has the high pass on a push pull pot, so, if you want the sound to warm up when you back off the volume you can.
Jim

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One thing that sways the JEM in my direction a little, besides the fact that it looks so friggin cool, is that it has that really sharp biting tone that I enjoy, and it has the whammy bar ditch (don't know the proper name, sorry) dug out deeper, so I can go further with the whammy, something I use a lot.

The JS I like the playability of maybe a tiny bit more, but it has that kind of bassy sound which is cool and all, but that I don't like as much as the super sharp, biting sound of the JEM. And the whammy bar ditch isn't as deep, that's not a super big complaint, but still, the deeper the better as far as I'm concerned.

Is it possible to get that really sharp biting sound with the JS? And is the whammy bar ditch in the JEM really THAT much deeper?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Being a Strat player my Jem7vwh felt awkward when I first got it. I almost thought I'd made a mistake in buying it sight unseen and having never played one. After a month of breaking into it it became my favorite guitar. I still love my Strats too, it just took some adjustment getting used to the extremely different necks. No regrets on my JEM purchase.

·
Registered
926 Posts
One thing that sways the JEM in my direction a little, besides the fact that it looks so friggin cool, is that it has that really sharp biting tone that I enjoy, and it has the whammy bar ditch (don't know the proper name, sorry) dug out deeper, so I can go further with the whammy, something I use a lot.

The JS I like the playability of maybe a tiny bit more, but it has that kind of bassy sound which is cool and all, but that I don't like as much as the super sharp, biting sound of the JEM. And the whammy bar ditch isn't as deep, that's not a super big complaint, but still, the deeper the better as far as I'm concerned.

Is it possible to get that really sharp biting sound with the JS? And is the whammy bar ditch in the JEM really THAT much deeper?
You wont get a JEM sound out of a JS easily. They are 2 totally different guitars. If you like the sound of the JEM you should get one.
I don't own a JS (yet) but testing them both on whammy abuse I didn't feel much of a difference in bending up.

·
Super Moderator
2,516 Posts
I always thought the Fred pickup in the JS was a bit biting. Lots of high end. Of course I ended up putting an X2N into my JS-1 and talk about bit and bark.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've owned both of these. It sounds kinda like you are wanting two different things, ...you talked about wanting to play some blues at times (which any guitar will work for) but then you talk about loving the biting sound of the JEM. That has more to do with the pickups than the guitars, ...with the one exception of the neck scale which may affect that. You would do well to have one of each of these guitars. They are complete, total different animals. I sold my JS but it was the lower end JS100 model. My comparison is as follows:

JS: This was the most comfortable guitar to wear that I have ever played, hands down. The looks are gorgeous. I loved the neck on the lower frets, but didn't take to it as well up high. I preferred the JEM up high. Just more comfortable to play for me up there. The JS had an incredible round sound to it and lots of tonal capabilities with the boost switch. I still miss the distinctive sound of my JS. It was a fantastic recording guitar, but I never got a chance to play it out live so I don't know about how it would cut through. My bet is the JEM would be better for live "cutting power" with the Evos.

JEM: The older style like I had/have has a bit of a distinct neck shape to it. It "feels" kinda tall compared to other necks. But it is incredibly comfortable and the fingerboard is slick as glass. The fret spacing is perfect for my hands. The 5 way switch with HB-S-HB combination allows for quite a variation of tones that are all cool in and of themselves. I think the JEM is in the top 3-5 guitars ever made, for me anyway. With the evo pickups, I felt like the distinct tonal properties of the evo's made the JEM a one-trick pony. Even with the switch changes, I wanted a different sound, though I love the evos when that's what I want. My other JEM has Norton/Air Norton and that changed the guitar considerably.

These are just some things to consider in making your decision. Good Luck. You won't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
and it has the whammy bar ditch (don't know the proper name, sorry) dug out deeper, so I can go further with the whammy, something I use a lot.
Trem cavity and lions claw respectively ;)

You sound like you will end up with both eventually. Like was already said, the JS has a closer Fender feel while the Jem is closer to well, a Jem or maybe a Soloist.

I'd like a JS one day as well as a PGM (for diversity) to go with my current Jems and RGs.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Living in Thailand you can probably get both for $200 (can you say Chibanez?) :lol:

Just kidding around :razz:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts