Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently dug out my old 2000 JS100. I was 16 when I bought this guitar and still remember the day . . . even the taste of the cough sweets I had for my cold. There's too many memories to let it go: the nightmare of trying to tune a floyd rose for the first time, the first gig, the first scratches, the first time my strap failed and it fell . . . I'm sure you know the feeling.

Anyway for the past week I've been scouring the internet (some great stuff on this site, thanks a lot!) to see what I can do to give this baby a little more life. The body and the neck in near perfect condition. I've ordered new pups (SD JB Trembucker and SD Jazz for the neck . . . anything will be better than the stock pups.) The next thing I'm looking at is the trem. I've put it down to an OFR (for the simple exchange with the TRS 2), or a Gotoh. The only issues I have with the Gotoh is that the trem/sustain block is slightly too long - 41mm. I don't have a problem in routing slight large holes for the posts. Because of the price and reputation I'd sway towards the Gotoh, but I can't find a shorter trem block to replace the 41mm. So I have three questions I hope you guys could help me answer :mrgreen::

1. Do you know where of who I can go to to get a shorter Gotoh trem block?

2. Will another floyd rose trem block fit the Gotoh?

3. Any suggestions as to what else I can do to my JS100? . . . I won't throw it away :cry:

I really appreciate your help guys. I've read through the whole website and can't find the answer to my questions, so hopefully someone out there can help.

Thanks.

Leon. Berlin, Germany.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Certainly don't throw it away. It obviously has enough sentimental value to you to be worth keeping. The new pickups should be a nice upgrade.

I don't remember off the top of my head a source for the shorter blocks, but I do remember someone posting here sources for shorter blocks and people who make them. Try digging some more with the search tool. If you are a bit handy with tools, you can probably shorten the existing one (most likely from the top of the block, not the bottom).

There's nothing wrong with an OFR. Those are darn good trems and it is an easy choice in this case.

There are probably other choices too. I seem to recall pictures here of an Edge Pro in a JS100 -- though such swaps generaly involve minor modifications to the trem route.

That wasn't much help, but maybe it will lead to something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't remember off the top of my head a source for the shorter blocks, but I do remember someone posting here sources for shorter blocks and people who make them.
Actually, after I posted this, I did manage to find two guys on the bay yesterday who make their own Gotoh blocks. One guy doesn't deliver overseas, so I'm trying my luck with the other (he seems fairly well priced, I just hope his skills are up to par).

There are probably other choices too. I seem to recall pictures here of an Edge Pro in a JS100 -- though such swaps generaly involve minor modifications to the trem route.
After doing some the research, I've decided to go with the Gotoh or if not the OFR. It seems that with the possibility of getting this block form the states, the Gotoh is going to come up trumps.

That wasn't much help, but maybe it will lead to something.
I really appreciate the advice. Thanks a lot.

Leon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey all, me again. So I found a guy who can supply me with a 32 mm Gotoh block. Good news. Now I do have two further questions, if anyone out there can help . . . . please . . . thanks :)

1. In the image I've attached of the Gotoh, does anyone know the measurement highlighted in red?

2. Regarding a Edge Pro as a replacement to the TRS II . . . is there much work required. I know there's some routing to do, but is there much. I couldn't find a diagram with measurements on.

As I've done some more digging around I can see that the Edge Pro would be more aesthetically pleasing as it is a similar shape to the TRS II, whereas the Gotoh is taylored squarely and would leave gaps around the trem. I sounds confused, but this whole thing is a learning curve. I'm still keen on the Gotoh, but if the Edge Pro can fit without too much routing, then I'm game for a challenge.

Oh yeah, any other upgrades worth considering.

Thanks for you time guys,

Leon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I knew someone would suggest this.
Sorry, couldn't resist.

But seriously, how about a refinish? You can do a simple re-paint job and many people in your situation feel that it breathes new life into an old, beat-up guitar. Of course, yours might be in great shape, I don't know.

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
I can't help with the measurement on the bridge I'm afraid, but searching the site for "replacement trem" issues might turn up demonstrations of what trems fit where.

I would say though that a "proper" OFR (I believe the best ones are made in Germany) is a great trem and if that is the "last resort" you shouldn't have any technical issues, but I do understand the visual appeal of having a trem that fills the cavity correctly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But seriously, how about a refinish? You can do a simple re-paint job and many people in your situation feel that it breathes new life into an old, beat-up guitar. Of course, yours might be in great shape, I don't know.
I just found out what "swirling" means (I thought it meant swinging the guitar around on the strap!). . . not a chance. This kinda thing is definitely not my cup of tea. No offense to those that love it, but it reminds me off my old tie-dye t-shirt I used to have when I was 12 and then my mum decided it was so cool, she used to wear it. I think that kinda ruined that style for the rest of my life!

Besides, part of the reason I'm not buying a new guitar is that the neck and body are in almost perfect condition. I could never paint over the cherry varnish, I know and can see all the details of the wood underneath . . . it's beautiful.

Thanks though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't help with the measurement on the bridge I'm afraid, but searching the site for "replacement trem" issues might turn up demonstrations of what trems fit where.
Cheers. I have been searching quite relentlessly, which it the main the reason why I've come to Jemsite. This seems to be the place to get answers from people in the know. I still have faith someone out there has an Edge Pro spec. or a ruler to measure their own and would be kind enough to help out :wink: The same goes for my Gotoh missing measurement question.

I would say though that a "proper" OFR (I believe the best ones are made in Germany) is a great trem and if that is the "last resort" you shouldn't have any technical issues, but I do understand the visual appeal of having a trem that fills the cavity correctly.
I hear you. That was originally my second choice, but over here there is a difference of €100 between this and a Gotoh, both having a good reputation and are pretty much the same size/shape.

Cheers guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts