Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you JS fans out there think of the JS240PS, in terms of build quality, compared to the Japanese equivalent, the JS2480? I was dead against buying a non-Prestige JS but as the Sustainiac is something I wont be using every day I'm pretty sure that the JS240PS will be a better investment that the JS2480. Hoping to buy one from Rich so I will know what to expect following his proper QC check, but have heard horror stories about wood not being properly seasoned with the Indo guitars.

I've come to realise that the JS series is the most comfortable guitars I have ever played, so keep coming back to the JS range every now and again, keep trying other brands and models but I'm wasting my time and money - I started out on a battered 540 Radius, so thats spoilt me I guess.....

·
Registered
661 Posts
I owned a js24p, the first iteration of the new 2400 indonesian Js models. Back then they still used the rosewood and bubinga in the neck...The difference in the overall fit and finish is in the neck. For the life of me I couldn't get the damn action low. Low for me is 1.5mm. I put a straight edge on the neck and the frets were not perfectly level. And the 15th fret slot was not correctly cut. Even perfectly intonated the tuning was sharp. I had the frets leveled and recrowned by a friend of mine and it was much better after that. Once the frets wore I had him refret it and it was excellent. The barrel jack died in 4 months, which isn't a deal breaker... The pots felt really loose and cheap. Almost no resistance while turning, I eventually replaced them with bourns pots. They were really loud when using the push pull function too. The tuners are cheap but since you have a locking nut that isn't really important. I did wind up selling it in the last quarter of last year for a HSH 540r.

The tough part is finding a place that actually has one so you can pick it up and play it. No where near me had one so I had to order it at the local shop. It was my first Js/radius style guitar and I fell in love with the sexy look and feel of the body so I couldn't turn it away lol. If you can order one without being obligated to keep the one that comes in (incase you aren't pleased) then I would say go for it. I have an indonesian epiphone les paul that is just fantastic... quality depends on the guys that are actually building the guitar... I hope this helps your decision some.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I do not have experience with the JS line. However I do have direct experience with the Vai JEM line.

Have the Indo blue floral pattern 2 model. The damn thing confounds me to no end. As the poster above noted, it is just harder to get the action and intonation set as well, compared to the Japanese JEM’s. Additionally, the hardware is a lot cheaper. The pots are worse, the trem is the cheaper version with lower quality machining, etc. etc.

I only hang onto the thing because the BFP2 is their best looking JEM, in my humble opinion. Absolutely love the dark, deep blues. But no, I’d save my money and get the Japanese model for their higher end signature models. Just my opinion, others will have different viewpoints.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yeah the trem at least is an edge on the Js premium guitars. Otherwise I wouldn't have took the chance.

·
Vendor
26,499 Posts
Premiums have come a long was since the pure crap they were when they first started building them 10 years ago, but they're still fast and wet and what's the point of ball fret ends you have to shave off within a year because the necks shrink. You can get away with a spot level on most of them but I never saw a Premium that couldn't benefit from a fret level. Then again getting 1.3mm action on a Japanese JS is probably going to require a spot level somewhere also. It's a tight radius either way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've noticed that with the JEM 7VWHP model. There seems to be slight differences with neck feel, tone and overall weight of the guitar. I have the 30th JEM777 Loch Ness Green, so I have something to compare it with. I really like the quality of the Indonesian JEM 7VWHP, but the tone of the guitar is so dark and beefy sounding. I was considering changing out the electronics, i.e., pots, 5-switch, capacitor, etc. Even though, this Indo JEM has the Evo pickups and the original Edge Tremolo, it just doesn't have that same Japanese JEM tone and feel. I've often wondered if other Indo JEM owner's have this same issue?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts