Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm looking into restoring my JS6000 back to original mainly because I don't like the floating trem that was put on it. Basically it has the floating trem with sperzel tuners which to me isn't a very stable system! I want the original fixed bridge put back on so I can do alternate tunings!

Also I am thinking of having it painted a nice blue sparkle/flake finish since I know after the cavities are filled it will more than likely be very noticeable plus I think a JS body painted that style will look SSSAAAWWWEEETTT!!!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hey Scott, you may have already seen this, but there's a tutorial on Project Guitar that shows the proper way to convert from a trem to a fixed bridge guitar. There are some important tricks described there about how to fill in the trem cavities. (I learned the hard way). It's definitely worth reading.
Cheers,
Bert

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Why not just wait a few weeks and install a Tremol-No?

It's a shame nobody's making aftermarket JS bodies yet. A few suppliers have been promising them over the years, but none have come through. :(

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
darren wilson said:
Why not just wait a few weeks and install a Tremol-No?

It's a shame nobody's making aftermarket JS bodies yet. A few suppliers have been promising them over the years, but none have come through. :(
I imagine from the body shape its a total pain in the ass to make js bodys. they have more curvature than pretty much any instrument I can think of whereas the rg shape is pretty much flat and squared off, really easy to produce!

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Scott 74 said:
Well I'm looking into restoring my JS6000 back to original mainly because I don't like the floating trem that was put on it. Basically it has the floating trem with sperzel tuners which to me isn't a very stable system! I want the original fixed bridge put back on so I can do alternate tunings!

Also I am thinking of having it painted a nice blue sparkle/flake finish since I know after the cavities are filled it will more than likely be very noticeable plus I think a JS body painted that style will look SSSAAAWWWEEETTT!!!
Sounds good. Is it going to be like the 90th?

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Scott 74 said:
http://www.ibanezregister.com/images/images-rg/rgr570/ibby5.JPG

This is how I want the finish, but don't know if I am going to be able to bring myself to actually have it done :wink:

Darren what is a Tremo-No??
Tremolno is a device developed by Kevin who used to frequent jemsite that essentially allows you to turn your tremolo on or off with NO issues. Apparently something that finally really works well, and has no effect whatsever on tuning stability, tone, or playibility other than improving them. It would essentially make your guitar a fixed bridge, or you could also have the drop c equipped version which allows you to lower pitch only. Very useful device i cant wait to buy one

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no no no I would never mod a JS6000 like that! Thats how I got the guitar when I bought it, but actually now I am thinking of only having the cavities filled and just leaving original.

The Tremolo no sounds cool but I want it to be a hardtail again plus I still have that cherry JS body I got off Jeremy way back, or someone he had sold it too. Anyway Rob is helping me with that one so I think I will just have that one done in blue sparkle.....decisions decisions :wink:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow I can't believe....well I actually can I started this thread over 5yrs ago, and the JS is STILL not done! It's still sitting in a nice hardshell case doing nothing! I attribute it mainly to my laziness and plain old losing interest in playing plus I don't know who I can trust to fill in the routed cavities and do the repairs right. Not me.....I just dont' trust my skills. I'll post some pictures when I get home from work.

However everytime I do try to get it going again I can never find a cosmo black Gotoh GTC101 bridge. I know I can get em in chrome, gold, and black, but I want original. Same goes for the tuners....though those are easier to find. I still have all the wirinig, pickups, pickup rings and knobs. If anyone can help me find the bridge and tuners I'd be very grateful. Just email me at [email protected]!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Scott,

It's been a long time since you started this thread. One thing that has changed since then is that there is now a reliable source of good quality JS bodies -- Perle Guitars. Given the huge amount of work to fill those cavities, and the fact that the body will never be close to original, you'd really be better off picking up a new mahogany JS6-style body from Perle for about $185, applying a tung oil finish (easy) and put your neck and hardware on it. Personally, I'd consider that a far better option than an iffy patch and fill job on the original body.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I actually helped route those holes to make them one even space so you wouldn't have to use some odd shaped piece of mahogany to get them to fit. I know not the best work, but I figured the gaps could be smoothed out and filled in with some wood filler. I'm pretty adamant about keeping the original body. No sense in keeping all original hardware and replacing the whole body. Plus if a PGM can be filled in and converted to a hard tail this can too.... ;o)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow those bodies on Perle are nice.....hmmmm says $240 for a mahogany JS.....wonder how much it would cost to get one finished in blue sparkle?!?!? Anyone have any experience with there bodies...yay or nay? Oh and just to clarify I bought this JS6000 for $300 and it came with all these mods. Not my doing and not my idea........

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.