Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Im pretty much new here and have been pretty much a Les Paul guy ( although I have had my share of strat type guitars).Just bought my first Jem (A 1999 floral) and am pretty excited.I sold my 2 main guitars to purchase it (both Les Paul type w/ set necks) and while i liked both of em' ,after playin' guitar for 25 years Ive recently started taking some pretty advance lessons (all that shred type stuff,wild scales, arpeggio's etc).Anyways bought it on **** a few nights ago for (o.k. is everybody sittin' down?) $825 dollars.It is in excellant condition.think i go lucky he had a $825 buy it now and minutes after listing it the bidding was up to $600,luckily less than 50 people had seen it before i logged on.Comes with original case and all the hardware.Anyways after doing a doubletake, I quickly pressed the buy it now button and lo and behold its on its way.Anyways, can anyone owning a floral tell me what to expect.You know how when your waiting for something time seems to stand still...................

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Congratulations and welcome into the Jem club :D (i was made a member a couple of months ago when i got my first Jem :) )

Well the Floral will be very different to your Les Pauls. For a start it'll be much lighter, the neck will be much thinner than that of any LP.

Have you had experience with a floating trem guitar? The Floral you've bought will have a Lo-Pro Edge trem, if you need help setting it up i recommend you visit here:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

And here:

http://www.jemsite.com/tech/index.htm

Have fun with your Jem!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
congrats!

just found your guitar on evilbay. that's a weird crack at the heel. it looks like it starts at the head of the bolt, rather than the typical corner of the pocket.

still at that price, well done!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The biggest difference I think you'll find is you won't have to fight against a Jem like you do with LP's. The Jem will take direction realy well and the thinn/fast necks make them a real buzz to play. You'll also notice the difference after a live set compared to an LP (super comfy, even for long sets).
Also you'll find a lot more tonal options at your finger tips. The five way selector make a mochary of the 2 choices LP's have.
You'll be grinning from ear to ear for months when you get your foral mate !!! :)

Ben

·
Registered
403 Posts
I own an FP and:
First week: You will have to change some habits on your left hand position and where to attack the string as it has a H S H Config.
Second week: You will see why it was designed by SV, in terms of playability and the way you can express what you want to play (..OH, wow!!!, can i do that?). If not, you will start to be dissapointed. (I don't think so, but just in case you missed your LP)
Third week: you will start to hear your wife saying she also exists.....
Fourth week: you will be an FP'er!!!

Hope this clarifies your concerns ;)

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Congrats - I have two 1988 Florals. The first thing you'll notice vs - Les Paul is how light it is. Watch out when you pick it up...you may thow it through the ceiling.....second.....you will LOVE they way it feels and plays. Nothing like the Les Paul....sooo much more player friendly;) It may take some getting used to because it is so different that the LP but you will love it. Welcome fellow FP-er:)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
That looks like a steal to me. Congrats.

Did you sell both your Les Pauls, or did you keep one?

I would expect love at first sight :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys,thanx for the responses,I gotta admit i'm cracking up at some of em,like the one about after the 3rd week my wife will say she also exists,and the one one about the jem being so light compared to the Les Paul it'll hit the ceiling (i can see it now after all those years of playing Les Pauls, i forget i have the jem and when i go to take it out of the case thinkin its a Les Paul, i give it that extra oomph to get it outtta the case and it goes flyin' thru my ceiling......LOL!) The truth is ive been a Les Paul guy up to now,but underneath ive always had this uncontrollable urge for a Jem,and I'm a huge Steve Vai and shred fan anyways.I have owned thru the years just about every guitar you can imagine,Les Paul's,strats,esp's,jacksons,hamers,the list goes on......but i have never looked forward to guitar more than im lookin' forward to this one.Oh by the way damo7v,you said you had seen the pic of the guitar.He said a piece of the clearcoat had chipped off (i thought and still do at that price that it was just so relatively minor) looks like it could be touched up no problem,Its just the clearcoat,doesnt go thru to the wood or even the fabric.Are you familiar with them and do you think it would be much of a problem to fix.He said it did not affect the guitars playability and that it was pretty much just cosmetic,and after looking at the pics and having him send more pics,besides that chip the guitar is in excellent condition.......again thanx everybody for your help!

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I'm not kidding about the ceiling thing......you are gonna freak at the the weight difference between the FP and the LP. And....even with the clearcoat chip, you got an excellent deal;)

And now.....THE EVER DIFFICULT WAIT:lol:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I definately will post pics,but as JJEMMER777 said "the waiting is the hardest part",and truer words have never been spoken.The guitar is in California and I am in Massachusetts,figures you couldnt get more freakin' farther apart in the whole U.S. of A. He is sendin' it out tommorow so i'm lookin' at probably a good 6 days or so.........Oh and here is the kicker, I am without a guitar till then (I sold my 2 guitars to fund this purchase) talk about testing my willpower! Well if what they say is true,"absense makes the heart grow fonder", then i'll be sleepin' with the floral Jem when it gets here! LOL!

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Ouch. Count the days, man. The FP has always been one of my favorite if not my favorite Jems. Cant wait to see the pics.;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts