Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Have just finished all teh major body/neck work on my new project guitar but I cant make my mind up on the pickups. I am thinking of using Dimarzios cause their cheap and easy to get but I want a Dimarzio pup that can give me a good clean tone in this guitar.

Jim (soloway that is) the guy who makes those incredible guitars at the top of the page gets a really good clean tone with the Air classic (neck) air (zone bridge) so I think im gonna go with that... but anyone got any good experiences with any dimarzio models and good clean tones.

dimarzios I have tried and really dislike for clean sounds are as follows ...... Tone Zone, Air Norton , steves special, Breeds, Evos, X2N, PAF, PAF pro, FRED.

though the two inner coils on the PAF/FRED in parallel is a unique nice sound I have grown to like... and the breeds coil tapped and in parallel is also quite pleasent.... but i would like more options.

As it is a JS custom there will be the obligatory high-pass filter and coil tap ;)

any insights or experience will be welcome

Steve

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yeah... forgot to mention that im going for dimarzio not only cause theyre cheap but because I also need red ones...

pics and audio samples will be posted in due course ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
due course?? How about.......NOW!

Sorry can't be of much help with the pups though. I like the sound of Breeds but you've already mentioned them...

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Steve, Any of the parts i sold ya involved ;) Seriously, The AIR CLASSIC Is fantastic for clean, and also for a slightly breaking blues sound, you'll love it, having described your not keen on the clean of paf's et el, i was the same, the airclassic fitted my bill exactly (was in an rg3120 breifly)

Rob

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rob,

The neck I got from you is all thats on this guitar, rest is made by me or from parts like a new shiny lo-pro in chrome...

still cant decinde on the pups... will probably go for 'air' ones... but have too many guitars at the moment (~14) need to start thinning ou the ones Im not getting along with.. or just plain not using (RG2027... Js1000 X2 .... RG7620 ... custom UV X2 ...

I have another custom UV in construction and I still dont really like 7 strings... I have really bad GAS.

Steve

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Thats the one. Man, thats going to come out sweet. He's going with Candy Apple Red.
Cant wait to see it when it's done. :)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ahh... the person whose painting the guitar didnt like the red of the pickups so I had to order some black ones... Air classic neck and Air zone bridge.

want to give em a try... if i dont like em they can be easily changed

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Devo said:
ahh... the person whose painting the guitar didnt like the red of the pickups so I had to order some black ones... Air classic neck and Air zone bridge.

want to give em a try... if i dont like em they can be easily changed
???? Why didn't the person like the red pickups?

Regards

André

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.