Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I just purchased it very recently from an online auction for less than $400.

Soldano Designed All Tube 50 watt Combo made by Yamaha from the early 90s. This amp was checked out by Mike Soldano himself just a few months ago. He tweaked the reverb to his specs, gave it the once over, and called it good.

I've never heard this amp, but I've heard pretty good things about it, that it is kind of it's own beast with a little fenderish clean channel and an SLOish lead channel.

Anybody else ever own or work with one of these?

Thanks

Superuser

·
Registered
412 Posts
Don't have one, never did, but I am aware of it's existence - as well as some Fender amps from that era. Do you have tha amp yet? How does it sound? What kind of tubes? Sounds like it's probably a good value.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sweet, that was one of the amps I was thinking about buying. But I only ever saw one on **** and it sold for over $500.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VanWyck said:
Don't have one, never did, but I am aware of it's existence - as well as some Fender amps from that era. Do you have tha amp yet? How does it sound? What kind of tubes? Sounds like it's probably a good value.
I don't have it yet. The guy is taking his time getting it to me, which is a little unnerving, but at least i know he's going to pack it right.

He said it has its original tubes. I'll wait and see how it sounds, but I'll probably swap those with some JJ/Teslas all around.

I'll post here again when it arrives and I've played it some.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well it arrived on Monday night, along with some new tubes I ordered. Good thing because the tubes needed changed. It had mostly old Sovteks, a dead JAN GE 12AX7WA(dang it), and a Peavey 12AX7 in the V1 position(not sure why).

Out of the box, it sounded really good. Lots and lots and Lots of gain and the clean channel was better than expected. It wasn't hard to find useable sounds.

After the tube change it was a different beast. I put in Winged "C" 6L6s and EH 12AX7s and this really livened her up! I think I'll be ordering some JAN Phillips or JAN GE 12AX7WAs for the V1 and V2 spots as I think this amp needs a little bit more creaminess and I think I'll be satisfied. Also, I plan to switch the speaker out to a Vintage 30 as I've heard this will smooth her out evn more.

I'm glad I found one of these amps.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Bill Leverty used the T-50 heads, to record the first two FireHouse records. I think they sound awesome!

You'll do good by changing the speaker in the combo. Yamaha went against Mike Soldano's wished, and used 100 watt speakers, which really don't let the amp give it all up. Stick a Greenback(I think this is the best choice for this amp), or a Vintage 30 in there, and you'll be sportin' wood. :)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
^^ It's 50 watts. If you put a Greenback in there, it's going to explode like a firecracker. Vintage 30 would be nice.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Right you are, Red5! I was thinking about how nice they sound in a 4x12 with this amp, when I said that. He wouldn't be able to use much volume with the Greenback in the combo, hence sort of defeating the purpose!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just installed the Vintage 30.

Do these speakers need some kind of break-in period or can I jam loud from the start?

Btw, 3 JAN Philips 12AX7WA tubes for the preamp on the way. This should release teh cream dreams!!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
whatshisname said:
Right you are, Red5! I was thinking about how nice they sound in a 4x12 with this amp, when I said that. He wouldn't be able to use much volume with the Greenback in the combo, hence sort of defeating the purpose!
What amp is it? I dont like Greenbacks much with high gain amps at all; I prefer something much tighter. They work well with old Marshalls, but I think I prefer V30s with old Marshalls still to be honest.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Superuser said:
Just installed the Vintage 30.

Do these speakers need some kind of break-in period or can I jam loud from the start?

Btw, 3 JAN Philips 12AX7WA tubes for the preamp on the way. This should release teh cream dreams!!
Yeah all speakers should have a break in period. Being 50 watts into a 60 watt speaker, I would probably not dime it for a little while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts