Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week i installed a tone zone on my maple necked rg550. sounds great.

so i scoured **** looking for a bargin neck pickup and won a air zone.
i had a great deal on it so i wasn't too dissappointed when i read that it's not entirely suited to the neck position.

can anybody tell me if there's a "rule of thumb" to installing dimarzio in place of the v7 type ibanez pickups? eg the colour of the wires etc.

please help dudes!!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Red is hot, goes to the same place on the switch that the red (if I remember right) from the V7, green and bare are ground and get soldered to the back of the volume pot with all the other wires, black and white get soldered together and go the tab on the switch that the white wire (again, if I remember correctly) from the V7 went to (for coil tapping).

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
It isn't hard to wire it up. I actually had a Tone Zone/Air Zone setup not too long ago and then sold my TZ and ended up with the Air Zone in the bridge. Gotta say that the AZ is a lot better in the bridge than the neck. If I ever go that route again with the TZ/AZ combo, the TZ will be the neck pickup. My suggestion is to try them both in both postions and see how you like it..

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I've heard interesting things about the Tone Zone in the neck, so it might actually sound decent there. But I dunno about the Air Zone in the neck. I think it would be a fantastic bridge pickup, though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rocked out with the rg550 (tz at bridge and new az at neck) thru my cornford rk100 and it kicks butt!!!!

i was expecting fuzz city with the az at the neck but it sounds awesome!! angry, fluid, not too thick and seems a great match volume-wise with the tz at the bridge!!

what shall i get to stick in between dudes? which single coil???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.