Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left to right:

JS1000BP, Jem, Strat, Paul Gilbert thing. I'm waiting for the man himself to get back to me for more background on this guitar. My RG is in it's case, waiting for whatever it's fate may be. : D

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the strat in 98 at Guitar Center. It came with a solid white pickguard, all chrome hardware, and white plastic knobs. It's a California Series. I haven't studied up much on Fenders though, so I have no idea what the real differences are in the strat line. I know it's a midrange guitar for the price. Anyway, I put a gold jack plate in with gold knobs. I'd eventually like to upgrade it to gold hardware all-around, but it actually looks good as it is with mixed hardware.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fettouhi said:
The jem looks classy ;). Did Paul own that thing on the right?

Regards

André
Yeah he did... I got it at Cowtown Guitars in Las Vegas. The guy said Paul offloaded a bunch of gear to him before he moved out of Vegas. I went to the Racer-X forums one day and saw that he was telling the truth (Paul had posted a comment in a thread from the guy at Cowtown stating that it was true). From what I already know, the guitar was either built or customized for Paul as a gift or something. There aren't any others like it around, however it plays and sounds like garbage... the action is a mile high.... but it's just something interesting to own : )

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Cowtown? I thought I saw that guitar over at that honest, truthful, wonderful establishment owned by the Dark Lord, Red Ed????

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jemaholic said:
Cowtown? I thought I saw that guitar over at that honest, truthful, wonderful establishment owned by the Dark Lord, Red Ed????
Yeah, it had been hanging on the wall for a long time. If anyone had seen the case I think that would have been the clincher... it's bright orange inside : )

And I think the pickups were hand-wound. From the side you can see the coil of one of them.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wrote Paul about the guitar and here's his reply:

"Hi Jake,

Thanks for giving my guitar a good home. Here's the story behind it: I was doing some guitar clinics in America 10 years ago and one of the stores I visited gave that guitar to me. Someone who worked there had made it using their own "Gilbert" brand, but when I came to visit, they thought it would be appropriate for me to have it, since my name was the same. It is one of the strangest guitars I've ever seen, and of course, I like strange. The tuning key protector is my favorite feature. Enjoy!

Paul"

How effing cool is that? I wrote him on Friday, and got the reply that night (but wasn't able to check my mail till today).

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Knightmeir said:
I wrote Paul about the guitar and here's his reply:

"Hi Jake,

Thanks for giving my guitar a good home. Here's the story behind it: I was doing some guitar clinics in America 10 years ago and one of the stores I visited gave that guitar to me. Someone who worked there had made it using their own "Gilbert" brand, but when I came to visit, they thought it would be appropriate for me to have it, since my name was the same. It is one of the strangest guitars I've ever seen, and of course, I like strange. The tuning key protector is my favorite feature. Enjoy!

Paul"

How effing cool is that? I wrote him on Friday, and got the reply that night (but wasn't able to check my mail till today).
Cool :grin:.

Regards

André

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah it was... I forwarded the email to my wife... I was all happy and stuff and she called me a nerd because she has no idea who Paul Gilbert is. Naturally, I yelled at her.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've considered putting an ad out for it on evilbay with an insane reserve on it just to see how much people would bid on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts