Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
While i've only got about an hours worth of down time with the Mark V, and probably triple that with the JVM, my vote is still with the Mark IV.

It's very saturated and organic with all the great Boogie tones you crave and have heard in countless recordings. Simply can't be beat.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've tried both Marshall JVM and the Mark IV extensively, the Mark V I've only read about/heard on youtube.

All channels on the JVM but OD2, which is more modern and compressed, gives you the typical marshall sound. The clean channel is very nice imo, from fat to chimey. The crunch channel comes very close to a JCM800, which is a good thing. OD1 is more of a hot rodded marshall sound, but tends to be a bit fizzy. You can get a pretty good metal sound on OD2 if you play around with the knobs, but it also does rock stuff on the green and orange modes. As you probably know, there's three modes per channel. Green has the least gain, while yellow and red adds more gain and bass.

For the price it's a very good amp.

The Mark IV has extremely many options, and therefore many sounds. For sound shaping, the parametric EQ wields more tonal possibilities than the "regular" EQ, and comes in really handy. It's a more advanced amp than the JVM, and harder to dial in, but when you do, it's simply great. Metallica and Dream Theater has used it on several recordings (Black Album, Systematic Chaos etc). The clean channel (rhythm 1) is nice and chimey, kind of Fender clean, but not as good. Rhythm 2 has more of a rock sound, and can do solos at full gain level or with a pedal. This seems to be the least favorite channel of most Mark IV owners. As I've not experimented much with the channel, I can't tell you too much about it. Lead channel is the one used for distortion in Lamb of God, Metallica and Dream Theater recordings. It's really tight and compressed, and will deliver a super smooth lead sound and a great crunch for rhythm.

The Mark IV went out of production about two years, so you'll have to get one used.

The Mark V has even more options than the Mark IV. If I'm not mistaken it offers three modes per channel, kind of like the JVM, but more complex. The first channel has the Lonestar cleans, which are GREAT. I think channel 2 offers some Mark 1 sounds, and the lead channel offers Mark IIC+, Mark IV and Mark IV pulled (extreme) settings. It also offers 10w, 45w and 90w action, which can be useful to swich between gigs and for home practice.

All the three amps has too many specs for me to mention them, but over all I'd say the Mark line is superior to the JVM in both quality and sound, but also more expensive (new). Go to youtube.com and hear them for yourself, or even better a store;) Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks friend so i will buy mesa but i dont know buy markIV or mark V ???
i am sorry i cant speak english well
so
price of them???????????????(price of mesa mark)

·
Registered
146 Posts
The mark V has the mark IV sound on it's third channel.......... for me the mark V is 10x the amp. in my mind the JVM is a celebration of marshall amps back catalogue/history. it really didn't surprise me when mesa a year or two later did the same with their mark V. to be honest if anyone wanted a mesa and chose any of their models over the mark V i would think they were a stark raving lunatic. it literally is the best mesa has ever done in one amp from the cleanest and articulate cleans to more gain on tap than anyone should ever need. with every style in the world accommodated on this amp....... so really it just like a choice between tea and coffee. jvm or mesa........ your choice........... but for me i dream of getting myself a mesa mark V head sometime in the future with a diezel G12K100 front loaded 4x12...... sheer sonic nirvana

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
thanks friend so i will buy mesa but i dont know buy markIV or mark V ???
i am sorry i cant speak english well
so
price of them???????????????(price of mesa mark)
A new Mark V fresh from the factory is going to run you about $1799 baseline (no custom finish options). It is however available with any custom finish option you can imagine, since Mesa is a pure custom shop (for a price).

The Mark IV is going to run you from $1000-$1500+ish depending on condition, age and options. There are also two variations of the IV, the revision A and revision B. Both have slightly different tonal variations, while functioning the same.

he mark V has the mark IV sound on it's third channel..........

to be honest if anyone wanted a mesa and chose any of their models over the mark V i would think they were a stark raving lunatic.
I will have to disagree with you...I am a faithful Mark III user, and the Mark V is just too dry and unsaturated. It simply doesn't have the same organic-ness to it's tone that the early Mark series (IIC+, III, IV) has. It comes close on the IIC+ and IV settings with the presence turned low and the presence depth turned almost to 12 o'clock, but having 7 preamp tubes in its circuitry is a fundamental difference that changes the way it operates over 5. Owning and using these amps over time and being a Mesa dealer for some time, I can tell you, the Mark V is a totally different beast. Its voicing lacks some of that magical vocal like quality inherrent to the early Marks (IMHO). True, it is a super versatile machine, but just not the same...

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
own JVM for a while now, agree with tea or coffee analogy.
i believe my JVM is a fine english tea, can do judas priest painkiller sound very very well, as well as early metal stuffs... but can't do modern stuffs ( DT things), which i believe belongs to the coffee part ( mesa).

now i want a cup of coffee....

·
Registered
146 Posts
i believe my JVM is a fine english tea, can do judas priest painkiller sound very very well, as well as early metal stuffs... but can't do modern stuffs ( DT things), which i believe belongs to the coffee part ( mesa).

When you say down tuning and modern metal.............. have you tried using an overdrive with the amp, ideally the maxon OD808? For down tuning a brighter amp/guitar is in my opinion better because it helps retain clarity. To push the amp into true metal territory especially with something like a Marshall an overdrive and/or eq pedal in the effects loop is just necessary to get things tight and aggressive with the mids/low end.

·
Registered
146 Posts
A new Mark V fresh from the factory is going to run you about $1799 baseline (no custom finish options). It is however available with any custom finish option you can imagine, since Mesa is a pure custom shop (for a price).

The Mark IV is going to run you from $1000-$1500+ish depending on condition, age and options. There are also two variations of the IV, the revision A and revision B. Both have slightly different tonal variations, while functioning the same.

I will have to disagree with you...I am a faithful Mark III user, and the Mark V is just too dry and unsaturated. It simply doesn't have the same organic-ness to it's tone that the early Mark series (IIC+, III, IV) has. It comes close on the IIC+ and IV settings with the presence turned low and the presence depth turned almost to 12 o'clock, but having 7 preamp tubes in its circuitry is a fundamental difference that changes the way it operates over 5. Owning and using these amps over time and being a Mesa dealer for some time, I can tell you, the Mark V is a totally different beast. Its voicing lacks some of that magical vocal like quality inherrent to the early Marks (IMHO). True, it is a super versatile machine, but just not the same...
Hmmm so although the mark V says it has the mark IV and the mark IIC+ included in the last channel of the amp you would say they don't actually "really" sound like those respective amps? I have listened to clips and played the amp a fair bit myself....... is it really not the same? I mean to my ears it is spot on, and when mesa say something is a certain way i tend to believe them wholly........

Maybe it's because all the channels and "amp options" in the mark V aren't totally independent? From what i had seen from a mesa rep at NAMM he said that each mode/channel borrows different parts of circuit boards in the amp and that each borrowed bit adds up to the same circuit board as the mark IIC+, mark IV etc.........

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

what is model of that ibanez guitar????????????:!:
so my style is proogerssive soon i will buy mesa mark V.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
When you say down tuning and modern metal.............. have you tried using an overdrive with the amp, ideally the maxon OD808? For down tuning a brighter amp/guitar is in my opinion better because it helps retain clarity. To push the amp into true metal territory especially with something like a Marshall an overdrive and/or eq pedal in the effects loop is just necessary to get things tight and aggressive with the mids/low end.
not yet, I don't think I will use a pedal booster on this JVM. I don't know, maybe some other day. At this moment I only use gain at 12 o'clock and the OD 1 and 2 screaming like a beast ( red channel both), and of course following by some feedback.. I'm afraid adding a pedal booster will make the feedback more crazy. and no, i don't feel like using a noise gate also.
the only thing that makes me saying that this JVM is good for old stuffs, because i can't get rid off the trademark 'brown' tone, of course it's a marshall, it supposed to has that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I must add something.

The JVM has TONS of gain on the OD1 and OD2 orange and red modes. If you want to add an overdrive to the circuit (to these channels) it's not because you want more gain, it's because you want a different voicing to the channel. When playing Metallica on OD2 red, I've the gain around 3,5 with passive pickups.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
that's interesting.
will consider some booster pedal in the future, maybe TS9DX.
right now, I'm quite happy with this amp, but wait till I get bored, then it's time to add something on it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Hmmm so although the mark V says it has the mark IV and the mark IIC+ included in the last channel of the amp you would say they don't actually "really" sound like those respective amps? I have listened to clips and played the amp a fair bit myself....... is it really not the same? I mean to my ears it is spot on, and when mesa say something is a certain way i tend to believe them wholly........

Maybe it's because all the channels and "amp options" in the mark V aren't totally independent? From what i had seen from a mesa rep at NAMM he said that each mode/channel borrows different parts of circuit boards in the amp and that each borrowed bit adds up to the same circuit board as the mark IIC+, mark IV etc.........
Its almost spot on...almost. The IIC+ is (I would say) within 98% of the real IIC+ sound. If you direct out to recording, or plugged it up to a 4x12 and had it cranked for stage volume, its there for sure. I have only tested it at fairly low volumes on mostly un-broken in amps, so its harder to say for sure. Having low hours on a Boogie does matter. It takes about 40-60 hours to break in speakers and tubes to sound good and prime.

Personally, I dont think the Mark IV setting sound is as spot on as the real mark IV, but the sound is mostly there. Also remember that a Mark IV has different control settings too (push/pull tone shift, and a harmonic/mid gain switch, among other options). The IV versus V is just different sounds. I prefer the IV because it sounds smoother and more saturated, but there is nothing wrong with the V either, it is super versatile!

Mesa has not spoken wrong, the circuitry is there, but it also has additional circuitry to give you MORE options for more tonal variations; effectively making it the "best" Mesa ever...its just not my personal favorite; I prefer the simplicity and tones of the vintage ones.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Its almost spot on...almost. The IIC+ is (I would say) within 98% of the real IIC+ sound. If you direct out to recording, or plugged it up to a 4x12 and had it cranked for stage volume, its there for sure. I have only tested it at fairly low volumes on mostly un-broken in amps, so its harder to say for sure. Having low hours on a Boogie does matter. It takes about 40-60 hours to break in speakers and tubes to sound good and prime.

Personally, I dont think the Mark IV setting sound is as spot on as the real mark IV, but the sound is mostly there. Also remember that a Mark IV has different control settings too (push/pull tone shift, and a harmonic/mid gain switch, among other options). The IV versus V is just different sounds. I prefer the IV because it sounds smoother and more saturated, but there is nothing wrong with the V either, it is super versatile!

Mesa has not spoken wrong, the circuitry is there, but it also has additional circuitry to give you MORE options for more tonal variations; effectively making it the "best" Mesa ever...its just not my personal favorite; I prefer the simplicity and tones of the vintage ones.
dude,
Do you have any experience using mesa pre amp with marshall head?
I mean, I really interested with mark IV, heard so much good words about it, but to get a used mark IV head in my location is almost impossible, maybe it's easier to get a triaxis.
so... if i'm able to get a triaxis, i will use my JVM power amp and 1960A cab to fire it up, how it is gonna be?
a mess ? or would it be good?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The Triaxis is a super powerful piece of machinery in its own right. While I have not owned one, I have played one (once) and it was through a Marshall power amp, and it sounded pretty damn awesome.

When discussing just how Mesa-ish the tone is gonna become, the preamp is gonna be responsible for roughly 85% of your REAL tone, if not more, depending on how transparent the amp is. The Mesa power amps, when paired with the preamps will make it sound more like a Mesa. The Marshall stuff is EL34 powered...remember Mesa stuff is 6L6 powered, so take that into consideration...but in the end, its STILL going to sound like a Triaxis :) ...bad to the bone!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
mark v by miles

heres a really saturated sound on ch3

the mark iv's channel 2 sucks (from what the users say)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts