Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 270 which is modded with a edge, and dimarzios, and i couldn't get any sleep last night so i drew on it with a gold-filt-pen, and i must say it looks kinda cool! :D

anyhow, what kinda laquer should i use to keep the lines that i drew?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
That's probably a 2-part polyurethane (or maybe polyester) finish. I wouldn't try to put lacquer over it. Your best bet is probably to find someone to spray a 2-part poly clear over it for you.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
wow that IS sort of cool , i thought by the way it sounded it was going to look bad but that definetly suprised me .

If all else fails you should be able to take all the parts off and take the body to an automotive repair/body work shop and have them do a couple of clear coats on it .

·
Registered
310 Posts
I like it! Do the headstock as well, then take it to an automtive sprayer to have 2-pac polyurethane applied. Just be careful it doesn't eat away at the marker.

For posts above: Nitrocelluose yellows with age, is a royal PITA to ever get off, and i hate it in general. Laquer isn't much better.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
HA! I love that. It looks like an Etch-A-Sketch.

I don't know what you have over there, but here there's something in a can called Defthane. (company name Deft) It works pretty well over paint pens and that sort of thing, and it will stick to Ibanez' poly finish too. You could shoot it with satin or gloss, or satin first as a sealer, to defract the light and soften the mild inconsistencies in the pen image (which I think are cool by the way) and then follow it up with gloss. It takes days/weeks to cure but it's pretty hard for a rattle can.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Deft is nitrocellulose lacquer, and the spray stuff (not the brushing stuff) is pretty good.

I expect that it would go well over the felt pen and probably would go on well over the existing finish. My concern would be whether it would STAY on over the old finish. Given the differences in flexibility and expansion rates versus the poly undercoat, there have been cases of the lacquer cracking or popping off in the future. I can't say whether it would happen in this case, but it is generally not a good idea to mix finishes. (I definitely wouldn't put poly over nitro.)

In any case, the guitar looks good. Good luck with your finishing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.