1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FAS AxeFX/FM3
Helix (Standard/LT)
Kemper (lunchbox/stage)

I used to give FAS all the credit because of the axe fx 3 but helix and Kemper have $1700 units that sort of out do the $1000 fm3 - but to me the helix LT is very similar to the fm3, and I think that’s why FAS priced it at $1k, but I haven’t tried a helix - I just see the videos and comparisons where they are almost

I’m originally a Kemper fan, if you don’t “buy Japanese buy German”, that’s my motto. I had the first Kemper and then when their prices and product line got stagnant I sorta jumped on the FAS hype bandwagon, and while they’re probably almost as good as Kemper, the profiler technology is “superior” to sound based algorithms, it’s really a matter of opinion but also it’s scientifically objective

in all honesty, FAS is the gold Standard now, but Kemper has better technology- if I knew they were coming out with the stage I would have probably sold my axe fx 3 rig but I put too much into it to go back to Kemper now, but I’m glad to see they not only are giving FAS a run for their money but they aren’t letting helix go without a fight

anyway, what do you think of the different companies and their tech (helix is similar to FAS but Kemper is on a whole different level)

Kemper took too long for me anyway, I waited for the fm3 but when FAS had their processor problem when they had to rewrite thousands of line of code I was forced to buy the best at the time- the axe fix 3

I wonder how it compares to the new kemper

anyone care to share their experience (and don’t forget to include what your speaker is)

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I JUST sold off my AX8, it was great for live, but the tones live never really matched what I set up at home with the FRFR Monitor. I mean, I was able to play and hear myself, but listening to live recordings, they all kinda sounded generic, I guess? I'm back to real tubes, real heavy equipment, again, lol.
Running Bongner XTC 3534 with a few pedals. I also just scored a Mesa Fillmore 50, but I think I'm gonna sell it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Idk dude
Maybe it was the FRFR unit
FWIW the ax8 isn’t the most comparable of them, but I heard the same thing from many FAS users, which is why in 2018 there was that MASSIVE wave of used ax8 for sale before the axe 3 release

I’m really interested in what you think of Kemper technology and profiling bamm

to me Fluence and Kemper go hand in hand

what do you think of the new stage unit

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I kinda backed off modelers other than the plugins I use for recording, there I know what's going into the recording is going to come out of the speakers and I have absolute control over all aspects of the sound ( Except the final listener, obviously) But a sound guy may or may not know what you're going for with a preset when you pull it up so if they just flatten the levels and EQ in the mix, it may squash your preset's intended goal.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really dude? Your into the DI plug in thing?

I consider myself almost too old school for that

it is much cheaper though right? What DI brand or software company do you like?

might like to give it a shot

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
I JUST sold off my AX8, it was great for live, but the tones live never really matched what I set up at home with the FRFR Monitor. I mean, I was able to play and hear myself, but listening to live recordings, they all kinda sounded generic, I guess? I'm back to real tubes, real heavy equipment, again, lol.
Running Bogner XTC 3534 with a few pedals. I also just scored a Mesa Fillmore 50, but I think I'm gonna sell it.
How do you like the Bogner XTC 3534? I do not recall Bogner ever really announcing it but from the specs it seems like it should be quite good.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
How do you like the Bogner XTC 3534? I do not recall Bogner ever really announcing it but from the specs it seems like it should be quite good.
I really like it. It's got the patented Blue Channel, Red Channel, a great clean (Green) channel with lots of variety and it isn't ridiculously loud at home, but has the balls to move some air if I need it to. The effects loop is solid, also.
If I have any wants for this amp, by default, it powers up in Red mode, Dunno why, I'd rather see it start off on the clean channel, personally. Also, not having a Plexi mode like its big Brother, it would be nice, but the Bogner Blue Pedal is stupid cheap and has a Plexi mode which is really awesome in this amp, it acts as a great 4th channel should you need a lil extra nudge on the clean channel, or a bigger boost elsewhere. All in all, I'm very happy with it.
I had the ATMA and that also sounded great, but the EL84s vs 6L6s, the bottom end is fuller and more satisfying in the 3534.
I also personalized it a tad. ;)

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Really dude? Your into the DI plug in thing?

I consider myself almost too old school for that

it is much cheaper though right? What DI brand or software company do you like?

might like to give it a shot

thanks
I went with the Neural DSP, I'm telling you, they really kill it, feels like an amp, and I can almost get amp like sustain when holding a long note, wearing headphones. I dunno how they manage it, but they do. I have a lil Tribute to Eddie Hazel I recorded with it.
Ignore the crap editing I did, It was late and I just wanted to finish it.
I did a lil false advertising in the video, I did a couple panning shots across the Bogner, but it was all the Nolly Plugin.
Maggot Brain

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
I really like it. It's got the patented Blue Channel, Red Channel, a great clean (Green) channel with lots of variety and it isn't ridiculously loud at home, but has the balls to move some air if I need it to. The effects loop is solid, also.
If I have any wants for this amp, by default, it powers up in Red mode, Dunno why, I'd rather see it start off on the clean channel, personally. Also, not having a Plexi mode like its big Brother, it would be nice, but the Bogner Blue Pedal is stupid cheap and has a Plexi mode which is really awesome in this amp, it acts as a great 4th channel should you need a lil extra nudge on the clean channel, or a bigger boost elsewhere. All in all, I'm very happy with it.
I had the ATMA and that also sounded great, but the EL84s vs 6L6s, the bottom end is fuller and more satisfying in the 3534.
I also personalized it a tad. ;)
View attachment 17448
Very cool! I actually have an ATMA so I understand how the 6L6's would make a difference.
The Bogner website has not been updated for several years which makes learning about their new products a trickier task.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
My journey through the modeler world did not go through Fractal, Kemper, or Line 6. Instead, I opted for the Eleven Rack with ProTools. Learning to record this way was the musical equivalent to "crack." I learned so much from that orange box and had so much fun in the process. However, after a while, I wanted to start recording with microphones so I moved on from the Eleven Rack.

Good times though. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts