Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a video of me playing an Ibanez RG470.

Best Dynamo Metal Guitar Riff Ever!

It is an older video and has a few mistakes, however, wanted to present this playing style. In the tradition of Fear Factory machine gun-style riffs, though, what I think is a unique way of playing them with my finger positions on the fretboard.

Please have a wee listen if you have a spare moment. I'll be aiming to upload more videos in the near future.

I'll also be uploading songs to my Soundclick page:
https://soundcloud.com/
I'm on a quest at the moment to understand more about the tone that is coming from my guitar. I upgraded the pickups and I'm thinking about putting on heavier gauge strings. Part of the battle comes down to my own playing capabilities, cables and equipment used, and also how I mix the guitars. I've learned a fair bit but will keen on learning more.

Forget about the sound quality on this video though, it was really just done for putting across the idea, recorded on a standard miniDV camcorder.

Enjoy!

Ray

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So, exactly what was different and unique about it?
Hey Ving. It's more to do with the fast alternating power chords. Generally, I think most would slide a semi-tone up and down the fretboard (unless their guitar is detuned, where it may be easier to bar the powerchord). Here, I utilise all four fingers to quickly hammer on and off the power chords, creating a more staccato rhythm. Wonder if any other guitarists play this way? I'm curious. I've incorporated this style of playing into a few of the tunes I've been working on.

Nothing really new about the style of music in general though :p More to do with how it's played.

Cheers,
Ray

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm afraid that's nothing new either. People like Megadeth (see Corey's link) and Anthrax were doing that in the mid to late 80s.

It's a useful technique though and you don't see it much these days, at least I haven't seen it in a while, but then I don't listen to stuff like that anymore so that might just be me ^^

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. Thanks for sharing the link, Corey. Spider chords is a fitting name.

Ving, yeah, I was a bit naive to think no-one else plays like that :p Though it's cool to see and Mustaine just manages to look a lot cooler playing that way too.

Hmm... anyone played guitar with their nose yet? (maybe Marilyn Manson or Trent Reznor)...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts