Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I posted a few times before, I had melted a tube on my Marshall Major, and it had no volume and was thin and fizzy sounding (before I noticed a tube was half melted). I emailed Dawk (who did work on Richie Blackmore's Majors and is supposed to the the ultimate Major guro!) and he said to check for fried wires.

So I got bored the other day and took the amp out of the chassis. Removed all 4 tubes. The tube sockets look good.

So I finally got to read what was on the tubes. The only one I could really see what it was without removing it I could tell was a GE 6550, which was a little larger than the others and the one that melted. The other tubes were a Sylvania 6550, a RCA 6550, and a Phllips 6550... all major US companies that stopped making tubes a while ago! :)

As for components, all I could see that looked fried was a capacitor that had turned black. I was planning on getting the amp recapped and all the capacitors look original, so that is not much of a problem if it is the problem!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
just FYI, Philips is not from the US but the Netherlands.

Global profile
Royal Philips Electronics of the Netherlands is one of the world's biggest electronics companies, as well as the largest in Europe, with 160,900 employees in over 60 countries and sales in 2004 of Eur 30.3 billion.
from
http://www.philips.com/about/company/

Mullard was also owned by Philips, their tubes are Philips' design. many RCA tubes are actually rebadged Mullards. I had to put this straight as both my dad and grandfather worked for Philips. My dad actually had classes at the university from the professor who invented the penthode. The EL34 rules!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah interesting. I always thought they were US at least back then.

Someone who worked for GEC (Gold Lion) had said that they got their tubes made for them from GE, threw their label on them and threw them in a box too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts