Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, am I alone in thinking that Kirk Hammett has terrible vibrato and technique? I was watching some Metallica DVDs the other day and thinking the guy just doesn't have a fluid approach to guitar period. His bends are pitchy and seems to have the hand strength of a 10 year old girl scout. Don't get me wrong, his writing is phenomenal and even his solo compositions in the old days are masterfully put together. I just think his execution as a lead guitarist is less than par for who he is. Anyone else agree or has Marty Friedman got me spoiled?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've always felt the exact same way and never really had the nerve to say it because... well, because I don't play for Metallica.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I was watching one of the Satch youtube vids posted on here and Satch mentions that he was teaching Kirk while he was actually in Metallica.

I found this to be quite intersting, if a bit shocking.

Not knocking the guy but it's a bit weird to think that a guitar hero might actually not be as accomplished as what you first thought.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Kirk sucks the danglies to be honest.

BUT, that's comparing him to Vai, Satch, etc. In his own right, he fits what Metallica need so he's ok (JUST ok) in my book.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Kirk is the worst lead guitarist in any major band. His vibrato is unequalled in terms of how completely [email protected] it is, and he improvises like he's a 13 year old who's just learnt how to play "OMG, really, really fast!!! Look!". Plus he's annoying and more immature than anyone of that age I've ever known.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just don't get why the people always take the fact that someone has been taking lessons from some famous guitar hero too seriously.
Like "Hey dude,he took lessons from Satriani!"
Like that means anything.Either you make it big,or not...no matter anything.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I just don't get why the people always take the fact that someone has been taking lessons from some famous guitar hero too seriously.
Like that means anything.Either you make it big,or not...no matter anything.
You make an excellent point there!!! the fact someone would take lessons from Satriani does not make him/her play like him or better unless you really work hard at it!!!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Ah another Hamster bashing thread. The cool intro to the solo of Creeping Death was in fact a Satriani warmup excercise lol. Hammett's been very influential to many metal players.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I always liked and respected Kirk. He's not Yngwie or Lane, but who tf cares?

What he does, he does well. His solos are usually well crafted. I don't think anyone could take his spot, regardless if their quote unquote better. :)

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I dunno, I like Kirk. I think he has his place. His middle name should be changed to "wah-wah" though, for his over-use of it. But I like his overall bluesy style of playing thats for sure. And he is a nice guy too.

I still think Gary Holt would have been a better choice for them at the time though when they picked Kirk from Exodus.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
My point was that he was taking lessons from Satriani while still in Metallica...came as a surprise to me. Guess it's not such a big deal...

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Kirk Hammett is OVERRATED

Duh :lol:

I really liked his older stuff better "Master and "Justice" especially. He seemed much cleaner back then (but still sloppy live)

Now he just hides behind the Wha and I can't even listen to it.

When I was younger and way dumber (if that's possible), he was hero status to me. He's lost that status, but I'll always respect him (and Metallica) for all the accomplishments;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
When I was younger and way dumber (if that's possible), he was hero status to me. He's lost that status, but I'll always respect him (and Metallica) for all the accomplishments;)
Same thing here!:)

He really DID influenced a lot of growing metal kids to pick up their guitars and go for some heavy metal electric guitar playin'!
But however,that was VERY very long time ago,I cut my hair four or five times since that :) and though I find him very sloppy these days,I'll give him a credit for his "metal icon" influence thing... :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I too can find dozens of more technically gifted players.
I too can find dozens of less effeminate men (but not in metallica).
I too hate his new stuff annoying (wah wah wah pentatonic screeching).
I was also greatly influenced by him and, though I don't listen to his stuff anymore, I really like his old solo composition (only justice and puppets though).

I think the point of this thread is moot. The music business is not a phd in engineering. It is not all about technique, but about appearances. Hammett is overrated in the same sense the beatles are (love me do anybody?). They both had their great moments.

The problem with Hammett is that he has not progressed. Now that is a true shame.

·
Registered
553 Posts
So what if he was taking lessons while in Metallica - Randy Rhoads took lessons his entire career, I understand that he used to take a lesson in every city he toured at. No guitarist even Satriani knows it all.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The problem with Hammett is that he has not progressed. Now that is a true shame.
No, maybe he's just at his peek musically, and there is nothing more to expect from him.

When I was 16 I played better solos than Hammett, Always wondered what the hell he was doing in Metallica. RTL is the only album from Metallica I still listen once in a while. It's a classical album IMHO.

Hetfield ownes however, let there be no misunderstandings about that.

Regards,

JP

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.