Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After experimenting with my RG-7-CST some, I've come up with MORE options if you go with the KJG Wiring Modification. Here's the "wiring breakdown" with regard to button position:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
BUTTON UP:
•3-way Toggle Controls:
Pos. 1- Mag. only with 5-way ("Extra" knob used for tone control).
Pos. 2(center)- Both Mag. and Piezo combined. (5-way still functions & tone for Mag. is still the "Extra" knob)
Pos. 3- Piezo only. (No 5-way; no tone)

•Volume: Mag. volume only. (works independently)
•Tone: Piezo volume only. (works independently)
•"Extra" Knob: Tone for Mag. only.

•Output A: Mag.
•Output B: Piezo.

Cable Suggestion: (2) mono cables, or a Y-cable into a stereo cable (then a splitter at the other end). This will give you two completely independent signals. A single stereo cable will NOT work without a Y-adapter/splitter from the guitar.

BUTTON DOWN:
•3-way Toggle Controls:
Pos 1- Mag. with 5-way; normal tone control positon.
Pos 2(center)- Mag. with 5-way & Piezo. (Tone knob is used for "panning" between Mag. and Piezo. "Extra" knob used for tone control of Mag.)
Pos 3- Piezo only. (No 5-way. No tone)

•Volume: Mag. volume for Pos. 1 & 2; Piezo volume when in Pos. 3.
•Tone: "pan" between Mag. & Piezo- Pos. 2 only.
•"Extra" Knob: Tone for Pos. 1.

•Output A: Mag. & Piezo (via one cable; always separate signals for Mag. and Piezo)
•Output B: Not used.

Cable Suggestion: (1) mono cable. This offers only one signal.

-Thanks to Todd Crawford for his help with this project and alternate testing.

EDIT- font size repair.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Double Edge Owners- READ THIS!

I'll add this, Kevan and I do both agree that all in all, we like the Button Up option better, because you do have 2 seperate signals to work with(I like using 2 seperate amps, one for magnetic, and one for piezo) however, this new find is still a very cool option.

With all of this, I find the CST to be the most versatile and amazing guitar Ibanez has ever made.

·
Registered
417 Posts

Well, Radio Shack does NOT carry the right switch. So I will have to contact someone else. I dont want to put an order in to StewMac because I dont need $30 worth of stuff from them.
ALSO, I tried to change my 2027 5-way blade to a 3-way. Not possible. The 5-way on that guitar is so weird with all kinds of extra connections on it for the piezo (I dont know why since it doesnt affect it) that it's impossible to change the switch.
Bummer.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Tom-
Both Todd and I got our 3-way toggle switches from StewMac:
Chrome: part#1223
Black: part#1224
Both are $9.20 ea. (OUCH!)

Going thru my RadioShack catalog, I *THINK* one of these two part numbers will work (It'd be nice to have the switches in my hands...)
#275-614
#275-626
Both are less than $4 ea.

If not, RS still has the cool little rubber booties for the switches. For $1.49, ya can't go wrong! :)

I'll try to find a switch/switching diagram for the DoubleEdge-equipped guitars. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
417 Posts

Well, I stooped to the point of buying from Stew. Not that it's a bad thing, but would rather have gone local. It's faster. Kyle had some stuff to get too, so his order pushed it over the $30 limit, so all I got was a switch. The black ones are more cash than the chrome ones. I went with chrome.
Should have it by the end of the week.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yep....or SW-232 (black) or SW-234 (gold).
A little more expensive, but only by a few bucks.

Good score Joe!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I thought it might be helpful to post this again, as I found that, when I was looking for info, the diagram link was broken. Maybe the font & image link can be fixed in the original post (people may not scroll)? I'm not a mod, so I can't do this. For now, here's a repost.

Maybe this should go into the archives, as it is a great mod, and 99% of people will come here to find it.

Wiring Diagram:

KJG Wiring Diagram

Kevan's original operation explination:
With fixed font

After experimenting with my RG-7-CST some, I've come up with MORE options if you go with the KJG Wiring Modification. Here's the "wiring breakdown" with regard to button position:

BUTTON UP:
•3-way Toggle Controls:
Pos. 1- Mag. only with 5-way ("Extra" knob used for tone control).
Pos. 2(center)- Both Mag. and Piezo combined. (5-way still functions & tone for Mag. is still the "Extra" knob)
Pos. 3- Piezo only. (No 5-way; no tone)

•Volume: Mag. volume only. (works independently)
•Tone: Piezo volume only. (works independently)
•"Extra" Knob: Tone for Mag. only.

•Output A: Mag.
•Output B: Piezo.

Cable Suggestion: (2) mono cables, or a Y-cable into a stereo cable (then a splitter at the other end). This will give you two completely independent signals. A single stereo cable will NOT work without a Y-adapter/splitter from the guitar.

BUTTON DOWN:
•3-way Toggle Controls:
Pos 1- Mag. with 5-way; normal tone control positon.
Pos 2(center)- Mag. with 5-way & Piezo. (Tone knob is used for "panning" between Mag. and Piezo. "Extra" knob used for tone control of Mag.)
Pos 3- Piezo only. (No 5-way. No tone)

•Volume: Mag. volume for Pos. 1 & 2; Piezo volume when in Pos. 3.
•Tone: "pan" between Mag. & Piezo- Pos. 2 only.
•"Extra" Knob: Tone for Pos. 1.

•Output A: Mag. & Piezo (via one cable; always separate signals for Mag. and Piezo)
•Output B: Not used.

Cable Suggestion: (1) mono cable. This offers only one signal.

-Thanks to Todd Crawford for his help with this project and alternate testing.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I just did the KJG mod to my new RG2027XVV, and it's incredible what a difference it's made! The guitar went from being cool to being an indispensible tool in the arsenal!

The only additional mod that I'm going to try is to replace the existing piezo volume control with a new pot that has a center detente position. Having that little "notch" in the middle would really help me feel more comfortable when using the guitar live.

Thanks KJG! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts