Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a few guitars with floyds so i know how to tune and set them up etc. I have owned this guitar about a month. With it in PERFECT tune, if i just pull up the whammy bar then check tuning it is sharp, if i then depress it again it returns to tune.

This says to me the knife edges are worn, is this possible on a guitar that is brand new?? Kinda upset i spent all my money on the guitar i really wanted and it cant even be played properly :(

Please help me fellas!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Try some lip balm or vaseline on the knife edges. Could just require a slight lube to allow it to return to the zero point freely.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hasnt worked im afraid! It either sits about 1/4 flat or 1/4 sharp unless i ive the trem a little tap in the right direction!!

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
It's still going to be a setup issue I'd imagine. Go read the tech section at Ibanez Rules (banner at top) and you should be able to work out something for your bridge.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Iv read everything on there a million times! I usually set up all my own and friends guitars, this is just a new problem for me. It seems like knife edge wear to me, but i just dont understand how such a new guitar could suffer that!! Is the edge zero 2 a really bad quality trem?

·
Vendor
26,379 Posts
EZ2 has the hardest knives and studs ever. If you've read a million times then you've read no guitar will return 100%, the point is to get it to return close enough to not be noticeable until you dive or bend again.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers again Rich! If i put a trem-stopper in so my trem is essentially dive only, and add a bit of spring tension. It should improve its ability to remain in tune. Is this statement correct as far as you know?

·
Registered
261 Posts
LOL! Maybe not cutting through, but roughing up the stud or even putting small nicks to where it hangs up on the stud.
>: D

I guess that sounds plausible. But I don't think that would happen after a month of playing, unless that guitar get passed around for 24 hours a day abusing the whammy bar.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess iv averaged about an hour a day on it so far. Im not a huge whammy wanker, i tend to just give it a little wiggle now n again ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Potentially found the problem. I had my bridge set up at a slight upward angle i THOUGHT the edge zero 2 had a wedge shape so i set it to have the baseplate level. Actually after taking the bridge out to check it, it is designed to be set up flush with the body!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just thought i would add. I have fitted that little bracket called a 'trem stopper', had to fit it a little differently due to the ergonomics of the edge zero 2. Can safely say its the single best mod i have ever fitted and has changed the feel of my guitar for the better!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts