Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Played a Krank Revolution today to compair with my 5150 II. The Krank has two advantages:

It has a smoother distortion, more rounded off, but nice
It seems to have less noise than the 5150

I still like the more in your face raw aggressive tone of the 5150 for metal. The 5150 is louder as well if you need volume for shows and seems more responsive to amp settings.

I like both but I'll stick with my 5150, the Krank is not worth the extra $700+ but still a good head. It was Josh Rands head from Stone Sour, he wants to sell it because the company is not working with him so he's not going to endorse them anymore, he's not sure what he's going to use now.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
good to hear, i was think about a krank before i settled on a 5150.

what cabs did you play the krank through. Cabs have a lot to do with sound, and the cab can either make the sale or turn you away.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
the revolution cabs have eminence v-12s which are crappy, the krankenstien cabs have eminence texas heats which are a little better, but very subjective.

all the eminence equipted cabs i have played i didn't like to much. I have som texas heats in my cab and they need to get some jucie flowing through them for them to sound half way decent then the bass is too much, and the mids are kind of shut out,and the highs are biting.

i played my xxl that i had for a while through a marshall 1960 cab with celestion g12t-75s and man it rocked. I got it home and hooked it up to my cab and it was ok but not anything like it sounded with the marshall cab.

I once said that peavey cabs where crap . I have since changed my mind. I spent about an hour playing a xxx through the xxx cab and it sounded realty nice . I even played the xxl cab with the xx head and it sounded pretty good too.

I know my cab is going to be the next thing i upgrade, and to anyone who is looking at a new head, i strongly suggest you try a lot of different cabs as well, including the one you currently own or are intending to buy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.