Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just got hold of a Hughes and kettner Tubemesiter 18 head and i'm loving it, and i have been currently running the head through my only cab, a Jet city 4x12 and even though i get good results, i ain't fully happy with my sound, i find the stock speakers in the jet city pretty 'bright' and harsh, especially with EL84's Which come in my tubemesiter, i have recently re-tubed my H&K with Tad EL84'S and it has slightly warmed up the sound, but like i mentioned the speakers in the jet city are just not for me.

Ok i am after a new cab for my H&K preferably a 2x12 which is plenty for me and i have narrowed it down to these two..

- Laney ironheart 2x12

- Harely benton 2x12

have never tried either of these cabs but from you tube demos they both sound good, i like that fact the Harley Benton Come Stock with V30'S.

But from what i have heard from youtube demos, The Laney ironheart cabs sound fantastic! they seem to have a great bottom end, and a very tight smooth tone ( which i am looking for) but i am not familiar with the stock HH custom drivers.

Has anyone tried the ironheart cabs and if so how do you like the speakers, would you say they are as good as vintage v30's in terms of quality of tone, and also which celestion speaker would be closest to the ironheart HH speakers?

Any help on this subject would be great!

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I have never used either but I can say that you could very well hate the HB with V30's if you're looking for any thump in your low end.

The Ironheart head and matching cab TOGETHER seem to have a good, even chunk to the lows. It can't all be from the head, you know?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have the Harley Benton. Sounds fantastic, and priced at the same price as the speakers on their own. And built like a tank too. Very good cab, especially for the price.
It can be a touch bright though, I'm thinking of trying another speaker in one side to see how it balances.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, yeah for the price the Harley Benton is superb value, you see my jet city cabs stock Eminence speakers we're too bright, and that's the reason why i have sold it and after something else, I'm really curious to try the Laney ironheart 2x12 cab, as from what i have heard from youtube clips it sounds pretty good, and also very warm sounding, what i may do is order one then try it out, and if i don't like it send it back and get the Harley benton, just wish i knew what the Laney custom HH speakers we're similar too

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You say bright mark, silly question but how bright? i had that problem with my Harley Benton 4x12 and that's the reason i sold it, the highs very harsh and piercing.

What guitar/guitars and head do you use with your Harley benton? and have you broke the Vintage 30's in yet?

:)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not unbearably so, I like the sound of the cab. I'm using a Bugera 6262 through it, so the 6L6's take care of the lows. I got mine used, so I don't know how much play the speakers had beforehand.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
It can be a touch bright though, I'm thinking of trying another speaker in one side to see how it balances.
I've been looking into speakers lately, and it seems that WGS Retro and WGS Heritage speakers are good V30 copies without the bright spike. The retro is a little brighter than the heritage, but both don't have the 'spike'. Great price, too. Many think Celestion is overpriced, and if you are like me and on a minimal budget for anything, the WGS is a great value.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts